Chapter 20

Jeanette opened her eyes and groaned, hopelessly tugged and pulled on her hair. She regretted waking up.

She was too tired to even get out of bed, her head pulsing with the pain of crying the better part of the night. She barely got any sleep.

It was already past noon - she didn't go to school that day, telling her parents she's feeling sick. They, not really caring, let her stay after a fit of anger and yelling.

Her throat was dry, but she couldn't be bothered enough to get up to get a glass of water. Her stomach rumbled, but she felt no appetite.

What was I thinking?

Jeanette blamed herself for destroying their whole friendship because of such a stupid thing. Because she let her feelings blind her into thinking he actually cared as well.

She slammed her head against the wall, hard. The sharp pain was better than the dull ache.

Why had she ever thought it was a good idea to tell him?

She felt so good in the moment, everyone was suddenly talking to her, become her friend, she felt like she owned the world.

It turned out she didn't in a bare second and everything was back in its old tracks - Jeanette felt alone as never.

She didn't want to face him. She was scared of what would happen, if he would act as if he didn't know her. She was scared what would happen to her other classmates, if they'd still be friends or not.

Moreover, the ache she felt because of Oscar was eating her alive. She couldn't even cry anymore, already wasted all her tears and energy last night.

She buried herself in her comforter, pulling it over her head. She was fully under it and it was getting harder to breathe, yet she stayed like that for a long time.