Chapter 17

Jeanette mindlessly picked on the crust that had started forming over her fresh cut. She poked at it with her nail even though it hurt and a thin trickle of blood came out when she discarded another piece of crust.

It wasn't quite healed yet, but she loved to pick at crusts.

She was currently sitting at the bus stop, hiding herself underneath it from the rain.

It started to rain a little before the school ended and she forgot her umbrella - she didn't feel like walking in the rain and so was stuck waiting for the nearest bus to her house.

There was no other person around.

Jeanette could finally take a deep breath.

Her classmates in school began to talk with her much more ever since that day when they had all eaten lunch at the canteen together, and she was so used to being alone that all the sudden attention, all the people suddenly hanging out at her desk - it all made her feel a little out of her comfort, even if she talked with them with just as much enthusiasm, it tired her out a bit.

As much as she loved having new friends, she only then realized how much she actually valued alone time. Now that there were so many people around, she sometimes wanted to take a break from them, even if that was what she had wanted in the first place - she wanted to make friends, to get to know people, but at the same time she wanted to also be by herself from time to time.

She was almost never by herself in school anymore. But don't get her wrong - she didn't mind. She was just so used to being alone she missed the time.

And now, she was finally alone, with no other people around, only rain softly pattering onto the ground.

She exhaled the air slowly.

Her bus arrived and she hopped on.