Chapter 29

Jeanette forgave Oscar.

Well, actually, she wasn't quite sure if there was anything to forgive him. He hadn't done anything wrong, did he?

It wasn't his fault he didn't have any feelings for her.

Breaking her heart was her fault only, or so she thought.

Because one day after school, Oscar caught up with her on her way home.

He caught up with Jeanette despite her quickening her pace after hearing Oscar run after her - she could recognize him even by his footsteps.

He caught up with her even though she tried to run away from him.

He caught up with her, the girl with sadness pooling inside her, the girl with sadness seeping through her skin in the form of blood and tears.

He caught up with Jeanette and gave her a hug, not letting her free despite her struggling against his strong grip. Oscar hugged her to let her know, to tell her he wants to try being friends again. To apologize and ask for forgiveness, claiming he cannot just leave her behind.

He felt sorry to throw away their whole friendship, or so he told her.

Jeanette eventually stopped trying to break free and wrapped her arms around his neck, holding onto him tightly. She was afraid this was her last chance, that he'd leave forever if she let go.

They stood there hugging while Oscar muttered countless apologies and Jeanette felt relief inside her.

He kept begging to restore their friendship.

And Jeanette, having little to no experience in the love department, agreed, naivity making way for hope that maybe, just maybe, Oscar did just start to like her a bit.