02 | The Rooftop

Celeste didn't see Cato again after his victory party seeing as both of them were sent home to their respective districts

Celeste didn't see Cato again after his victory party seeing as both of them were sent home to their respective districts. Sadly though, the time had come when Celeste needed to head back to the Capital for the 73rd Hunger Games.

Once again, Celeste was chosen to mentor the female tribute alongside fellow victor and friend, Finnick Odair. This was Celeste's 4th year mentoring with Finnick, each one as brutal as the last.

Usually, the most recent victor would become the new mentor for the tributes, but because Annie, Celeste's first-ever tribute, was severely traumatized from her time in the arena, Celeste volunteered to take her place. Not that the Snow cared though, that meant he got to exploit Celeste's popularity even more.

This year, Celeste's tribute was an 18-year-old girl named, Katrine. Celeste recognized her from when they worked on the boats together and she hoped desperately that Katrine's already well-developed spear skills were going to help her in the arena, though she knew the other Careers were always a threat no matter how trained her tributes are. But Celeste was grateful that her tribute would at least have a fighting chance.

She hated having to watch all the children die every year, even more when their fate was in her hands. And yet, every year she was sent back here to do it all over and over again.

"We seem to have some real fighters this year," Celeste heard Finnick mention as they watched their tributes talk.

"We are technically from a Career District. I just feel bad for all the children that didn't grow up having the same kind of skills we were taught," she answered back.

"That's right, I forgot you never joined the career pack," Finnick responded, vaguely recalling his games.

"I didn't purposefully ignore them. They just thought I was too young to join their group. Thankfully my district partner chose to ally with me instead."

"Do you think the Careers will let us join them?" Finnick's tribute, Darian, cut in. It was only then that Celeste noticed that Darian and Katrine stopped talking and started listening to their conversation.

"I'm sure they will. You're both incredibly strong and well-trained, not to mention that you're technically already careers, especially because you volunteered. But, we can meet with their mentors in order to secure you a spot," Finnick answered. Even though he never was a fan of the career mentors, he knew it was the best option to keep their tributes safe. It's better to have them as allies rather than enemies.

Celeste just nodded in response, trying her best to reassure Darian and Katrine. When the two seemed satisfied, they turned back to their conversation, leaving Finnick and Celeste to talk amongst themselves again.

"Okay, gameplan. I'll talk to Cashmere and Gloss. You handle District 2," Celeste announced without a second thought. Finnick laughed before responding.