23 | Blood Rain

10

10. 9. 8.

Cato scanned the podiums for Celeste. No luck. Though, he did see Peeta also scanning his surroundings.

He must be looking for Katniss, Cato thought. She's probably on the other side with Celeste. Maybe, I should follow him.

7. 6. 5.

Cato shook his head, trying to regain focus.

No. Celeste said to focus on the game. We'll see each other later, he thought. Focus.

4. 3. 2.

With a sigh, Cato watched the clock tick down, getting himself into position to swim as his gaze focused on the Cornucopia.

1.

Immediately when the cannon went off, Cato dove into the water and toward the rocks. Climbing his way onto the walkway, he noticed two figures already approaching the Cornucopia.

That must be Celeste, he thought, sprinting towards the Cornucopia.

The rocks turned out to be quite a challenge though, making his run much longer than it should've taken. By the time he reached the Cornucopia, the distant figures were nowhere to be found.

Fuck.

With a huff, Cato made his way inside, searching for supplies. To his shock, the Cornucopia only held weapons, leaving the tributes to fend for themselves when it came to survival. Frantically, he looked around for a sword, noticing a wall mount filled with different types, decorated with a random spearhead shoved into the side of the board.

Cato chuckled, noting how Celeste most likely shoved it in the wall as a sign that she was alright. Then, he grabbed a sword and holder and a few knives and made his way out of the Cornucopia.

"Cato!" he heard Enobaria yell out, causing him to turn around just in time for him to notice the male tribute from District 6 approaching. Cato quickly pulled out his sword and swung, slicing the man through his stomach and shoving him into the water.

When the man finally stopped moving, Cato knew it was time to move on, making his way toward Enobaria and the others.

The bloodbath turned out to be, well rather bloody. Cato took two more lives after that, Woof and the girl from District 9 -- slicing him both with his now bloody sword as he let their blood splatter on his body. Meanwhile, the other careers worked on weeding out a few other tributes.

By the time everything had cleared out, Cato was heaving on the ground, looking around the bloody rocks, covered in blood himself.

He knew who he killed, but who had the other careers gone after? What if one of those bodies is Celeste's? Cato thought, beginning to panic internally.