36 | Rescue Mission

Cato quickly rushed toward the supply station as he grabbed a bag for himself and Finnick before following the sea of people heading down a giant flight of stairs

They needed to get downstairs fast. The Capitol was on its way.

Cato quickly urged everyone to hurry, allowing no time for stalling as he made his way down the stairs. The stairs seemed neverending and at one point, Cato felt like he was dreaming when he looked down and noticed he hadn't made any progress.

How long did it take to get to the bottom?

Thankfully, after what felt like hours of climbing, Cato finally made his way down the stairs, hurriedly walking through steel doors and into a bunker. 

Cato ended up being stuck in that bunker for a while. It seemed like the Capitol's attacks continued to persist throughout the night. 

At one point, everyone else seemed to be asleep, exhausted from the long day. Everyone besides Cato, at least. And Katniss.

"You're still up?" Katniss asked as she took a seat on Cato's bunk. The older boy only nodded.

In the night, when everything was quiet. Cato no longer had anything to distract himself from thinking of Celeste. Usually, he would use some sleep medication to help with it, but of course, there was none in the bunker.

"Too much to think about," Cato responded, mind wandering to Peeta's appearance and Celeste's disappearance. It was clear, that if something bad hadn't happened to them already, it definitely would now.

"What do you think they're doing to them? Celeste and Peeta?" Katniss asked, clearly worried about their loved ones. Cato thought for a minute before answering.

"Torturing them most likely," Cato replied. But Cato left out his concerns about their deaths, not wanting to upset Katniss any more than she already was.

"Finnick hopes they're dead. So that they're no longer suffering," Katniss started to say, eyes glued to the floor.

"And as much as I need to see Peeta again, I can't help but agree with him."

Cato smiled bitterly at her words, nodding his head in agreement.

"If they're not, there's still hope that we can get them out," Cato tried to reassure the girl, but it was clear that even he didn't seem to believe his words.