39 | Back Home

A few days later, after Katniss's release from the hospital, Cato found himself hiding with her in one of the bunkers

"I need to get out of here," Katniss admitted as the two sat in silence, "Being here is going to kill me."

"Where will you go?" Cato asked, furrowing his brows as he turned to her.

"The Capitol. I'm sure Peeta would like that," Katniss muttered bitterly. After Peeta's outburst about Katniss and District 12 the other day, Katniss had never been the same. She refused to go anywhere near the hospital and spent most of her time hiding in the bunkers.

Most of the time, Cato would join her, trying his best to give Celeste the space the doctors advised, and the two of them would sit in silence as they thought about their companions before the rebellion.

"The Capitol is the reason they're like this," Cato tried to reason, "Going there won't do any good."

"Well I need to go somewhere," Katniss argued, "I can't do this anymore."

"Give him time. That's what I'm doing with Cel-"

"I am giving him time," Katniss shot back, clearly exhausted by the past few days, "I'm giving him time by leaving."

Cato clenched his jaw as he thought over Katniss's words. He couldn't tell if she really was telling the truth about wanting to give him space or if she was just trying to run away from the guilt, but either way, he knew she was serious.

"Fine. But we're not going to the Capitol. It's too dangerous," replied Cato, causing Katniss to turn to him in shock.

"We?"

"Someone needs to watch over you," Cato replied, puffing his chest out to appear bigger, "Besides, as you said, Celeste needs her space."

Katniss faintly smiled before thinking for a moment.

"Fine. We'll go to Two."

-

When Cato decided to follow Katniss on her hunt away from District 13, he never expected to be back home. And yet, here he was, standing in the district he grew up in.