16 | Deja Vu

When Cato first heard his name called out at the Reaping, his heart stopped

What am I going to do now? How would Celeste react? Would she have to mentor his opponent?

No. Cato thought. I need to be strong. Don't show them how affected you are. Train and win. For Celeste.

So, he devised a plan -- train extra hard, charm the Capital, and go home to Celeste. Of course, it never crossed his mind that Celeste would be in the games with him. Until the reruns came on.

-

Brutus came into the room with a hard look on his face, somehow tenser than usual. 

"We need to review the Reapings and go over who you're going to be facing," Brutus robotically spoke, turning on the TV.

"You okay there, Brutus?  You seem a little tense," Enobaria teased, though her smile faded when she noticed Brutus sending her a serious look.

"District One..." he began as Cato took notes. Things seemed to be going pretty well for Cato as he wrote down strategies to beat his opponents. Until it was time for District Four. 

Subconsciously, Cato tensed when the screen turned on, eyes immediately falling on Celeste. 

Please don't be Celeste.

Oddly, the escort from Four chose the men to go first. 

"Finnick Odair," she read aloud. Cato tensed but didn't lose his composure. Of course, he was upset to be going against his friend. But if fighting Finnick meant getting back to Celeste, he'd do it in a heartbeat.

"Cato-" Enobaria started, but Cato shut her down, insisting it was fine. As Brutus went to hit play again, Cato noticed a sour look spreading on the man's face.

"Annie-" the escort called out, causing Cato to sigh in relief, letting his guard down.

It wasn't Celeste. He thought, but his relief didn't last much longer.

"I volunteer as tribute!" Cato suddenly heard from the tv, instantly turning back. That oh-so-familiar voice. Celeste.