28 | District 13

"Where am I?!" Cato yelled when he finally awakened, frantically looking around for anything familiar

"Where am I?!" Cato yelled when he finally awakened, frantically looking around for anything familiar. But his efforts seemed useless. No one would answer. 

"Where are we?!" Cato asked again, much more aggressively as he grabbed onto one of the medic's arms. The woman's eyes widened in shock as she tried to pull away, not saying a word.

"Cato," he suddenly heard, turning his attention toward the door. Finnick.

"What are you doing here? Where are we?" the blonde boy asked again, finally releasing the medic. Finnick looked at the medic before nodding his head toward the door. The rest of the crew soon followed suit, scurrying out behind her and leaving the two alone.

As soon as the crew left, Cato turned his head back away from Finnick, refusing to look at him. Faintly, he could hear Finnick sigh before he approached the bed, taking a seat on the edge.

"Cato-" Finnick began, but Cato was having none of it.

"I have nothing to say to you. I just want to know where we are," Cato replied, gaze glued to the blank wall. 

"Cato, I didn't mean to leave her behind. I didn't know her entire deal with Plutarch, I'm sorry," Finnick began, eyes pleading. Cato's jaw tensed but kept his stare unmoving.

"But you knew she made a deal. You were supposed to protect her. We both were," Cato mumbled, finally turning to face Finnick, slightly taken aback by the tears in Finnick's eyes. Nonetheless, Cato's scowl remained strong.

"I'm sorry," cried Finnick as he hunched over, letting himself wallow in pain. Cato stiffened as he felt some of the previous anger he had harbored toward Finnick. 

It's not just his fault, he tried to tell himself. It wasn't his plan.

"Why didn't you tell me about the plan? I would've listened," Cato insisted, causing Finnick to look up at him.

"Would you have? Or would you just try to stop Celeste?" Finnick asked, and Cato knew he was right. No matter how much he hated the Capital, he would have never made a deal if it meant putting himself and Celeste in danger.

"Celeste didn't tell you because she didn't want you to get caught in the middle. It was her idea, Cato. You need to accept that," Finnick finished. Cato looked at his lap with a solemn nod. Once again, Finnick was right. There was a reason Celeste didn't tell him the whole plan. She knew what was going to happen. And she was fine with it.