31 | Her War

The next morning, everyone in District 13 was required to attend a mandatory announcement

The next morning, everyone in District 13 was required to attend a mandatory announcement. As the crowd swarmed into the entryway, Cato made his way over to Finnick and Katniss.

"What's going on?" Finnick asked the two as he glanced up at the balcony. Cato only shrugged, clueless as well.

"I told Coin I was going to be her Mockingjay," Katniss replied instead, "But I made her promise to give the other tributes immunity if the rebels won. That's why we are here."

Cato felt a rush of relief at that. Celeste was going to be safe. Now all he needed to do was to find her.

"All the tributes?" Finnick asked hopefully. Katniss nodded in response.

"That's good, Katniss. Really good," Finnick complimented with a smile. Cato just nodded his head in acknowledgment. 

"Fellow District 13 Citizens," Coin announced, interrupting the group, "I've called you here today to announce Katniss Everdeen's acceptance of being our Mockingjay."

In response, the crowd erupted in cheers, turning their attention toward the girl next to Cato. Katniss shrunk down instead, hiding between her two friends.

"But," Coin interrupted the cheer, "In return, I have agreed to pardon the remaining victors that have been captured by the Capitol for any damage they may do to the rebel cause."

This time, Coin was met with cries of dissent. Cato rolled his eyes at their whines. They still don't get it. They never will.

"Let's get out of here," Cato mumbled as Coin finished her speech, gesturing toward the canteen. Hastily, Katniss and Finnick followed behind. 

-

Later that day, Cato found himself brought to the weaponry lab to meet Beetee. Cato hadn't seen Beetee since the games, but he heard that ever since the lightning strike, Beetee lost the ability to walk. But, that didn't stop him from working on his inventions. In fact, according to Katniss's friend, Gale, Beetee had been specifically working on weapons for the remaining victors.

"Ah, Cato, you're here," Beetee greeted the younger boy as he entered the lab. Cato took one look around the room, noting the different weapons and blueprints that covered the walls and tables.