20 | Game Time

The next morning, Celeste woke up on her own, finally refreshed after a lack of sleep the past week

The next morning, Celeste woke up on her own, finally refreshed after a lack of sleep the past week. To her right, she noticed Cato still, a peaceful bliss on his face. Celeste smiled at that, mentally tracing the lines on his face as she noted the way he finally looked fully relaxed.

Celeste continued to watch over Cato for a while, only stopping when he began to stir.

"Enjoying the show?" Cato grumbled with a dry chuckle, eyes still not fully adjusted to the light.

"I was just thinking. I didn't want to wake you up," Celeste replied, softly caressing his hair.

"What time is it?" Cato asked instead, turning his body so that he was facing Celeste.

"I think it's 5. We still have a little time before we go into the arena," Celeste answered. Cato's face fell at that, hating every mention of that damn arena.

"Cato, I have something to tell you before we go into the arena," Celeste quickly added, biting her lip anxiously. Cato just nodded, gesturing for her to continue.

"I made a deal with Plutarch," she admitted, scanning his face for any reaction. Cato's face stayed relatively the same though, but she noticed the way his jaw tightened slightly.

"What kind of deal?" Cato asked, eyebrows furrowing in confusion.

"To protect Katniss and Peeta," Celeste replied, whispering even though no one could hear them.

"Why would you want to save them? You don't know them," Cato argued, eyes growing narrow.

"There's some bigger plan going on. I don't know what it is, but half the tributes are in on it," Celeste admitted, only telling half the truth. Of course, she knew the full plan, she was a crucial part in making it work, but Cato couldn't know that. Telling him the full truth will only get him in more trouble if it all failed.

"Cato, I need you to promise me you won't attack Katniss and Peeta. They'll go after you if you do," Celeste practically begged, leaning in closer.

"Who are they?" Cato asked, still confused.

"Plutarch, the other tributes, some mentors. A group of people. You'll be safer if you don't go after them. Promise me that, please," Celeste once again begged, this time even more desperate. Cato's eyes darted back and forth as he scanned her face before finally nodding.

"Okay. If you think that's what's best, then that's what I'll do. But then you have to promise me you won't let yourself die for them," Cato agreed, eyes growing serious.

"Okay," Celeste whispered with a smile. Sadly, there would be no way Celeste could keep her promise, but Cato couldn't know that. Cato eased at that, shoulders falling slightly as he grabbed her hand to play with her fingers.