27 | The Real Enemy

"Wake up, Sleepyhead," Celeste suddenly heard, forcing her eyes open

Cato.

"How long was I out?" Celeste asked as she sat up, taking note of the pain in her stomach.

"Not too long. Here, District Three sent us rolls again," Cato responded, holding out a roll for Celeste with a smile. Celeste gratefully takes it and pops it in her mouth.

"Finnick is doing some fishing right now if you want to join. He kind of volunteered you for slicing duty," Cato spoke again, gesturing towards Finnick. Celeste let out a laugh.

"Of course he did."

The two remain silent for the next few moments, soaking in the sun and the sound of the waves. Celeste knew this would most likely be their last chance to be together, knowing the rebellion was coming soon. Yet, she couldn't bring herself to speak, Not when it meant continuing to lie to Cato. Not when it meant keeping their lack of time together a secret.

"Celeste-" Cato began to speak, only to be interrupted by Finnick's yell.

"Princess, let's go. You're on slicing duty," the older boy spoke, gesturing towards the fish and Celeste noticed the way Cato poked his tongue with his cheek, visibly annoyed that their time was interrupted.

"Come on, I'll teach you how to prep the fish," Celeste suggested as she stood up, holding out a hand for Cato to take. Cato smiled slightly, before grabbing onto her hand and walking towards Finnick.

-

From the other side of the group, Peeta and Katniss quietly observed the two. Katniss' hands continued to shake from fear, still not fully recovered from the Jabberjays.

"It wasn't real, Katniss. We're in the final nine. What happens during the final nine?" Peeta tried his best to reassure her, just as Johanna had instructed. Katniss continued to stare forward.

The family interviews.

"No, but Celeste heard Cato. It couldn't have been those interviews," Katniss argued, frantically playing with the sand. All she could think about was her sister.

"Hey, Cato has done plenty of interviews before. As well as already fighting in the games. Look at him, he's untouched. Prim will be too," Peeta promised, turning Katniss' head towards the older boy. A few feet away, Cato stood with Celeste, face contorted as he tried to cut the scales off of the fish. Celeste stood behind him, chuckling at the way he struggled.