Chapter 1: What a Strange Smell

Unbeknownst to each other, Soap and Ghost's first thought upon meeting the other were exactly the same.

"What a strange smell."

Neither of them thought the other smelled particularly bad in any way. In fact, they both found each other's scents to be quite pleasant. But it was just so odd. They could both tell that something was different about the other, but neither man let on that they did.

Price recruited humans, but he also recruited... others.

The captain was insistent however that there should be no bias based on species amongst his men, so it wasn't in their files. Each soldier one encountered under Price's command was left wondering if there was something more.

Soap had done his best to hold his excitement back at meeting his lieutenant. But not enough to not playfully punch his shoulder in greeting. He had taken his seat and removed his glove to smell the lingering scent touching him had left behind. It was almost like incense, but somehow smokier. Maybe a hint of lavender? He sniffed a little too hard and his whole head shook with a sneeze before he put the glove back on and settled back in his seat.

Meanwhile, Ghost had barely been able to restrain himself. The overwhelming urge to tilt the sergeants head back and breathe in his aroma at his throat had nearly punched him in the gut. He couldn't even speak until the man had walked away lest he give into the predatory urge to take. He got a better whiff of him when he was sitting beside him. He tried not to focus on it, but the man smelled of moss and pine. Distinctly. Like breathing in the night air of a forest.

Neither thought the other smelled human. But it wasn't their business, so they didn't ask.

Price's philosophy proved true, however, as they worked fantastically together. A good team. A good pair. Ghost was impressed how well Soap kept up with him, and Soap felt the same.

Price and Laswell clearly liked the pairing as well, as they were both assigned a mission in Mexico together. Continuing to search for a terrorist called Hassan and investigate the American missiles he somehow had possession of.

Before they shipped out, they stayed at a nearby military base. They shared a room. Unfortunately, Soap entered first, and since it was their room, and not just his, he had to ask.

"Soap."

"Hm?" Soap perked up from where he was tossing his bag down on the bed, turning to face him.

Ghost was hunched in the doorway, just on the other side of the threshold, "May I come in?"

Soap tilted his head at him curiously, all wide eyes. Ghost cursed himself that he thought it was sort of cute.

"Well, sure LT. How else would you go to sleep?" Soap finally said.

Ghost instantly felt the invisible barrier keeping him out release and he was able to step inside. He didn't look at Soap as he passed, just got ready to change out of his gear and get into bed. Soap didn't seem to mind though, the man practically twirled into their bathroom to shower.

Ghost took the time to get changed and lay down with a book. After a bit of time Soap exited, shaking his head back and forth to get the excess water out of his mohawk. His smell was stronger.

"That why they call you Soap?" Ghost asked, trying to sound casual, "You use a special kind?"

Soap chuckled, "Oh no. That's not why. I just use the normal military stuff they keep around."

Ghost watched, a little intrigued, as the man flopped onto the mattress and seemed to rub his cheek on the pillow for a moment.

"What about you, LT? Have any special smells you use?"

"No."

They were both silent for a moment, eyeing each other. As if waiting for the other to crack and suddenly reveal themselves. But nothing happened. So, Ghost reached out and switched the lamp off beside him and rolled over to face away from the other man. The sound of the other lamp turning off told him that Soap also decided to go to sleep.

He listened to the sound of his heart and his breathing. It eventually slowed into the rhythm of sleep. Ghost felt his teeth slide down as he rolled over and looked at the man's face. He tried to retract them but was unable as a wave of his smell seemed to target his palette. He huffed and rolled back over.

It seemed he wouldn't be solving the mystery of John "Soap" MacTavish just yet.