Chapter 72: Fatherly Woes

Price was on Soap's meal duty for the day. He stood at the stove cooking some plain ground beef. Soap's iron levels had been low from avoiding meat products so they were starting with some simple stuff. He also got him on some iron supplements. It would benefit Ghost too as he had clearly taken on Soap as his main source of nutrients.

He kept the iron tablets in a case with some of his poisons instead of the normal medicine cabinet.

"How come?" Soap had asked.

"Well, what if we ever have a fairy stay here? It would probably be very alarming for them to open the cabinet in search of tylenol and see the death pills sitting beside the other bottle." He had explained.

Now he stood stirring plain unseasoned beef around a pan. He snorted to himself thinking about how his uncle used to call their family's work a "noble and brave profession". Apparently this is what that entailed.

He was deep in thought about Gaz. He was extremely conflicted about this whole thing. On one end, he had never seen Kyle so healthy. On the other, this was the man that he considered to be his son. As far as he was concerned the difference between their species was irrelevant. He considered the dryad to be his own flesh and blood.

He had put all of this time and care into him. Provided him with as many resources and aids as he possibly could to keep him going in his unusual circumstances and foreign environment. Allowed him to pursue any field he wanted. Told him that his species shouldn't determine what path he had to follow. When he wanted to join the military with him he had been so proud, scared as hell, but proud nonetheless.

But no matter what he did, he had never been able to get Gaz growing farther than he was. He had thought that maybe it was simply a side effect of his lengthy dormancy throughout adolescence that prevented him from going further. He often wished he could ask his mother what to do with him, but obviously that wasn't possible.

And then in walked fucking Gary "Roach" Sanderson. Practically back from the dead with his new fancy wings and arms and antenna. Being all sweet and taking care of Soap and now...

Now he was taking care of Gaz.

Price huffed, continuing to stir.

Maybe he should have taken up beekeeping. Clearly all Gaz had needed was a little pollination to be successful. Fucking hell, why hadn't he thought of that?

Deep down he knew there was more to it than that. The boys had all explained Makarov's explanation on how all monsters needed love to sustain themselves properly. Sirens obviously had to consume it, but there were other things. He hated to admit that Makarov was right about anything, but here they were. Rudy did more than just consume love, he spread it, Alejandro magnified it. They were better together. Same with Ghost and Soap. Price had been trying to help Simon work through his issues for years, and Soap was always off the rails. Soap did more than just feed his taste for blood, but his heart too. And Price was positive MacTavish had mellowed out since meeting Ghost. He had never seen either of them quite so happy and content.

And now that left Gaz. Price loved him, and he was sure Gaz loved him too. But that wasn't the same as the rest. Price's love had gotten Kyle this far. But Roach could offer Gaz everything he needed. Love and pollination. Not the artificial stuff that Price sustained him with. What Roach could give was so much more natural. And already it was doing more than simply sustaining him.

He was flourishing.

So.

All that to say.

Was Price feeling slightly inadequate as a parent? Maybe. It was distinctly possible.

He turned the heat off and got to work scraping some of the meat into a bowl for Soap. He turned around to set it on the bar at Soap's usual seat when he noticed Ghost leaning against the doorframe.

He clutched a hand over his heart, startled, "Jesus, Simon! How long have you been standing there?"

Ghost shrugged, "Just listening to you mutter."

"Hm." Price hummed, "Well, your boy's food is ready."

"I'll tell him." Ghost said, not moving and continuing to watch Price. "Gaz alright?"

"Aye. Never better." Price said, and Ghost could see his slightly tense jaw, although his heartbeat told him that Price was telling the truth."

"And that's a bad thing?"

"No. It's great. I'm thrilled!" Still true, Ghost noted. "It's just..." Price's shoulder lowered with a sigh and he shook his head, "it's complicated."

He pinched the bridge of his nose and Ghost actually chuckled, "Most things with this team are, Captain."