Chapter 31: Day Drinking

Soap actually woke up where it was expected this time. He was still in the barn, he had been redressed in Simon's clothes, and was burrowed under a load of blankets and pillows. He sat up and stretched out, a little confused to find a red ball beside him. It seemed Ghost must have been serious about playing fetch it seemed.

"Morning, Son."

Soap turned around to find Price leaned against the wall.

"Mornin', sir." He ran a hand over his face, "Where's uh...?"

"I relieved Simon of watch duty a couple hours ago. Told him to get a little sleep." He checked his watch, "I'd go shower if I were you, we have a meeting to get to."

Soap pushed himself to his feet, fortunately his ears were normal this morning, "Where're we goin?"

"Meeting Kate at a bar nearby." Price told him as they exited the barn.

Soap looked at the sun that was high in the sky, "We day drinking, Captain?"

"We are day drinking. You are getting water. Doctor's orders until you're finished healing, pup."

Soap rolled his eyes, "Help prevent world war three and this is the thanks I get."

Price chuckled and led him back up the path.

A few hours later they were walking into a small local bar. There were barely any patrons. Unsurprising as it was early afternoon. It felt weird having the entire team dressed in civvies, especially Ghost. The man wore his fabric balaclava from their Ghost Team excursion. He still loomed largely, but far less than he did with all his gear. Standing next to him like this made Soap want to giggle a bit but he kept it together. The four of them sat down at the bar and waited.

Their attention was drawn to a TV running local news. Soap felt his heartbeat stutter slightly at the sight of the building they had taken down Hassan in. Ghost must have sensed it because his hand found its way to Soap's thigh and squeezed. If he hadn't just experienced a spike of anxiety from the sight of the building, he would probably have been extremely turned on.

Apparently they were attributing the explosion over Chicago to a power surge and a gas leak. Soap knew that was a load of horseshit. Not only because he had been there, but also because of his demolitions knowledge. Anyone with his level of expertise should know it. But civilians tended to look past this sort of thing.

The bar's door swung open and Laswell walked in and settled next to Price.

He nodded at the TV, "CIA shit."

Kate made an amused hum, "Creative writing."

He winked, "I'll never tell."

"AQ, Iran..." She started.

"Cartels, Russians..." He supplied.

"Shepherd, Shadow... they got past us." She shook her head.

"Well, they had a head start." Price defended. He raised his glass, "To cutting the heads off snakes."

Laswell toasted to that.

Price had to ask, he couldn't stand not knowing, "Any sign of Shepherd?"

Laswell didn't meet his eyes and shook her head, "Totally off the grid."

Price huffed, "We'll find him." He was determined on that front.

Kate looked up at that, "No, we've got bigger fish. I've done some digging on the Russians."

"That's a dirty job." Price observed.

"Ultra-Nationalists ambushed that convoy, John." She continued.

Price shook his head, "Kate, this is over."

"No." She told him firmly, spinning around on her stool to fully face him, "It's not. They're working with someone new."

That piqued Price's interest, "Who?"

Kate reached into her vest, pulled out a photo, and slid it across the bar for him to look. He lifted it and his eyes instantly met her's again.

"We don't know his name."

Price swallowed and looked back down, "He's not new."

He handed the photo to Gaz. Soap caught recognition in his eyes for a moment, maybe a hint of fear. Gaz handed him the photo. The man in the photo looked like an asshole that was for sure. Something about him was familiar to Soap as well, but he could quite place it. He passed the picture to Ghost who scanned it before looking back over to Price.

"Who is he?" Kate asked him.

Price's answer made something tingle in the back of Soap's skull, "Makarov."

Why was that name familiar? He couldn't recall ever encountering someone by that name. Or, at least, he thought he didn't. The pull in his brain was right on the edge of the answer but he couldn't tip it over the edge.

"We need to track him down, John." Kate was saying.

Price huffed and glanced at his three boys beside him before nodding, "You're right. We do."

Laswell nodded, "So you're with me?"

"Always."

"Good." Kate gave him a tight lipped smile, "In that case I need some help back in the city. Your work left me with a hefty load of paperwork on my hands."

Price groaned, "I'd love to, Kate. Truly. That sounds so very tempting. But my sergeant is a little indisposed at the moment and needs to stick to the cabin in the woods for the rest of the week." He tapped on his watch and Kate seemed to understand.

"Right. Well, he's a big boy. I'm sure he can handle staying on his own for a bit."

Price opened his mouth to argue but Ghost interrupted, "I'll stay with him, Laswell."

Price shot him a look that said, "Why the hell did you do that? I was trying to get out of paperwork!"

Kate gave him a smile, "Perfect. You and Gaz'll ride back with me."

Price sighed, "Alright." He slid off his stool and patted Gaz's arm, "C'mon Kyle. Duty calls."

Gaz rolled his eyes and groaned but turned to follow.

"Ghost." Price called his name and jingled the keys for the van. Ghost held his hands up and caught them, and it was only then that Soap realized that Simon may have strategically offered to stay with him so that they could be alone together