Chapter 2: To Kiss Fire and Water

Alejandro was sure he was going to lose him. Rodolfo had sounded so certain that he was already lost. That wasn't something Alejandro could accept.

He didn't care if it was supposed to be a secret. He didn't care who saw. The consequences of his shift would be worth it for Rudy. He didn't waste any time. He didn't bother to listen to the intel Rudy was spewing at him. If Rudy didn't make it with the intel himself, Alejandro didn't want it.

The change was quick, faster than usual in his desperation. He threw himself through the nearest window, listening intently for the sound of his partner. His ears picked up the distant sound of coughing through the loud crackle of spreading fire.

The flames wouldn't harm his skin, not when he was like this. His flesh was grey and leathery, he could hardly feel the fire against it. Rudy's wasn't. This was about as dangerous for Rodolfo as a situation could get.

He barreled up the staircase on all fours. His body clumsily slamming into the surrounding walls in his haste. He moved swiftly through the inferno, following the sound of weakening coughs. He slammed his hulking form against the door so that it flew open.

He let out an involuntary bark at the sight of Rudy on the floor, laying in a pool of his own blood. Alejandro quickly moved forward, nudging the man with his horns. When Rodolfo groaned, he hoisted the man up and onto his back, careful not to cause further damage.

He made his way back downstairs and through the fire as carefully and quickly as possible. His heart rate going faster with the slowing of Rudy's. The man had ceased his coughing and it was terrifying. Carrying his limp form back through the blaze.

They finally burst outside.

Alejandro could hear the distant sound of approaching sirens to replace the officers that had been gunned down by Hassan's men. Alejandro needed to make them scarce. He couldn't be seen like this. He needed to change, fast.

He knew where the closest river was, back the way they came. He needed to get Rudy there, but he wouldn't be able to help him as the beast. He needed his far gentler, unclawed, hands.

His long ear twitched at the sound of barking. He hated to use a dog, but it would have to do. This was for Rudy.

He followed the noise of the creature into someone's backyard, Rodolfo still on his back. He made quick work of the animal. Sinking his teeth into its jugular as to not prolong its pain. He pulled, feeling more than just blood entering him, but life. He began to turn back before he had even released the now lifeless husk from his mouth.

Rudy gently slid off and onto the grass as he returned to his human form. Now he was in some random Texans backyards, butt ass naked. It didn't matter though.

He finished popping his bones back into place, shook himself, and scooped Rudy back up. His breaths were coming out in little wheezes and his flesh was discolored into a light grey. He looked like he was turning into something out an old black and white television show.

He was so dry.

Alejandro booked it. Hopping the chain link fence and taking them into the woods. He knew where to go.

He slid down a little hill, bursting through the trees to the river's edge. He ran in, far enough to lay Rodolfo down entirely submerged under the water. Beginning to strip him of his gear and clothing, tossing them to the side.

"C'mon Rudy." Alejandro urged, "Nice and cool. Nice and wet."

It was almost like he was begging for it to be true. He desperately needed to have been fast enough. He couldn't have been too late. Without Rudy he would go off the rails, he knew he would.

"Rudy please. Not now, not yet." Alejandro begged, the taste of dog still on his tongue, "Déjame ver esas lindas escamas, mi amor."

It was like the words activated him. The mans gills popping open at his neck, beginning to filter water in. Rudy's lips parted and bubbles poured out, vacating all the remaining air from his lungs to make room for the liquid. His skin began to shift hues like a chameleon before settling on a light blue. Scales cropped up in patches across his flesh. They were duller than their normal shade and luster. Partly due to the dirty river water and partly due to how weak he was.

He only shifted about halfway, his tail didn't form, but little flowing fins grew from the sides of his arms and legs. After a few heartbeats, glowing eyes flew open. Reflective against the light of the moon. He shot upright out of the water, and Alejandro had to force him back down.

"Easy, easy." He soothed, "You're alright. You're just fine now."

Rudy chirped out a sound coupled with a few clicks. Alejandro smiled sadly, "You know I can't understand you like this."

It was true. The only way Rudy could be understood in this form was if he sang, but he was far too weak for that now.

"Let me kiss you." Alejandro requested.

Rudy's eyes widened and he frantically shook his head.

"Don't give me that." Alejandro scolded, "You need it right now. Please let me do this for you, mi vida."

Rudy's kind fed on love. He didn't like to take it though. He could drain someone of it to death. He never wanted to do that to Alejandro. He always worried he would accidentally take too much. But he really did need it. He hadn't fed in so long, and he had nearly dried up in that house.

After a bit of hemming and hawing he gave a tiny nod. Alejandro smiled at him and leaned down. Rudy lifted his hands and gently took ahold of both sides of his face, pulling him under the water just slightly, before leaning up and capturing his lips. He felt Alejandro slide his tongue into his mouth, dangerously playing along the edges of his now sharp teeth.

Few men dared to take such a risk with a siren. Even fewer lived to tell the tale.

Alejandro was a very special man indeed.

Rodolfo didn't have to take from him. He was simply fed. His senses were flooded with the taste of passion. He could feel the way his skin shifted from color to color, brightening as he was filled with sustenance.

He pulled away just in case Alejandro got carried away and tried to give too much. Alejandro looked down at him and caressed his body with his hands making Rudy involuntarily keen and lean into the touch.

"Mi Rudy. Mi Rudy hermoso." He crooned into the water.

And it was true.

While some sirens would claim to own whomever they fed off of, that wasn't the case with them.

Rudy was his.

And Alejandro was going to make sure that Hassan was found, and he would make sure the man paid for bringing what was his to harm.