Chapter 74: A Harpy's Wisdom

Gaz practically launched himself off over and off of the railing of the deck and caught himself on a stray vine to run up to the pair. He nearly tripped over his own feet in his haste to get to them. He nearly knocked them over when he collided with them.

"Woah there, Kid!" Alex laughed, "You shouldn't try and tackle an amputee. That's fucked up!"

"Oh, shove it!" Gaz chuckled, pulling back from them, and gently shoving the harpy, "As if that leg slows you down at all."

Alex's prosthetic matched his other bird leg, the talons could be opened and closed with a flex of his muscle, and he walked with a slightly unusual gate, but he was just as formidable as he used to be.

"Slower in the air at least." Alex argued jovially.

It was true, the leg was slightly heavier than his old one. It had taken him a while to get used to taking off with the extra weight. Other than his wings, his feathers dotted his arms, the same tawny color as his hair.

Farah was suddenly cupping Gaz's cheek and pulling his attention toward her, "We are sorry we couldn't get here for when you awoke, Sprout."

"That's alright, Farah. I'm shocked to see you here now!" Gaz grinned with his slightly sharper than normal teeth.

"Did the Captain not tell you? It wasn't meant to be a surprise." She smiled back.

"Didn't mention it, no." He puzzled.

"Liking the new look, Kyle." Alex teased, gesturing at his head.

Before Gaz could respond, a little chitter from behind him made him step aside, blush suddenly returning at the sight of Roach.

"Oh, um, Farah, Alex, this is-."

"Roach." Alex smiled, offering his hand, "Heard lots about you."

Roach offered his own hand in return, offering another to Farah. A third arm looped around one of Gaz's.

"Good to meet you." He offered in greeting with a soft smile.

Both Alex and Farah glanced down to their linked arms and then at each other momentarily. A slightly amused smile on either of their lips.

"Let's head up to the house." Alex offered, "Haven't said hi to the others yet."

"Did you not go there first?" Gaz asked, confused.

Alex gently nudged his shoulder, "Came to find you first, dummy."

Gaz snorted before they started heading up the path. Farah actually managed to get Roach detached from Kyle on the walk back. They walked and spoke slightly ahead of him and Alex. Apparently she knew sign and Gary was thrilled.

"So..." Alex drew out the word, "you and the bug?"

"Whaddya mean?" Gaz turned to look at him.

Alex let out a quiet laugh, "I mean, you aren't very subtle. Seems like you like him."

"Well, sure." Gaz shrugged, "He's very kind and an excellent soldier."

"No." Alex shook his head, "Not like that. You like him in that special way."

Gaz stared at him for a moment before fully picking up his meaning, "Oh! Is that what this is?"

Alex looked taken aback, "You mean you didn't know?"

Gaz blushed furiously, losing a few leaves as they walked, "I've never felt like this about someone, Alex! I was a tree for most of my life!"

"Easy, Kid." Alex nudged him, "Lucky for you, I'm a seasoned veteran in the love department."