Chapter 100: A New Purpose

Price knocked on the door, waiting not too patiently for the door to open. When it did, it revealed a grey haired woman with a pinched and unpleasant face. She had deep set frown lines and wrinkles from having furrowed her brow for a bit too long in her life.

"Can I help you?"

Price kept his expression cool. He already didn't like this woman from prior knowledge about her, but that didn't matter right now.

"Yes, actually. Sorry to disturb you, ma'am." He held out a large stack of documents for her to take, "My name is Captain John Price, British Special Forces."

She didn't look over the documents, but looked entirely unamused, "Got another feral creature for me to take?"

Price felt his eye twitch but kept his composure, "No actually. Quite the opposite, in fact. I have the documents all here to take the children into my care."

Her eyes widened slightly before finally looking at and flipping through all of the papers she was handed. She shook her head, "Have I done something wrong?"

Yes. Oh, yes. Everything Soap had shared about his childhood here. But he was keeping this professional, so he simply replied, "Nothing on paper, no. However, your services are no longer required. I have a better facility prepared for the children."

"These aren't children." She sniped, "I don't think you understand, Sir. These little beasts require a firm hand to keep them under control. I'm quite practiced in the matter."

Price took a deep breath through his nose, "I'm sure I am more than qualified." He gave a sharp whistle through his teeth and the whole team came around the corner of the building. Her eyes landed on Soap instantly.

"You remember me, Miss?" He asked, deadpanned.

She looked even more pissy, "How could I forget. Little John MacTavish. Wretched little wolf child. Your behavior was most difficult to handle. What, did you get yourself arrested, then?"

Soap glared at her before Price piped in, "No, he's actually a Sergeant on my own personal task force. He is a legend in the field. Saved thousands of lives with his work."

She pursed her lips before returning her gaze to Soap, "Well, I'm glad you were able to make something of yourself, boy."

She paled slightly as a predatory sound escaped Ghost's throat, his eyes flashing momentarily. Price stepped back into her line of sight, "Perhaps you and I should discuss the children's affairs in private. My boys can introduce themselves to them."

She gave a nervous nod before leading them all inside. Soap didn't wait for direction, he led them all through the building, he remembered the layout. He took the team to the large room that he vividly remembered being crowded with bunks and small monsters. They entered to a slight bit of chaos.

"Give it back, Gage!" A little girl wailed.

"I just want a turn, Pidge!" A slightly taller boy whined. He was looking down at her from the top bunk, holding what looked like an old pillowcase with a face drawn on it in marker.

The little girl began to sob and the sounds seemed to shake the walls. The men all covered their ears as the little boy, Gage apparently, hastily threw the pillowcase back down at her, "I'm sorry, Pidge! Please calm down! You're gonna get us in trouble!"

Soap could see the already cracked windows continue to splinter at the blubbering little shrieks little Pidge was letting out.

"I-I'm trying! S-sorry!" She cried, voice switching between the shrill and blaring tones and her soft child voice.