Chapter 22: Something Like That

Alejandro laughed as Rudy ran up to him and leapt into his arms. Alejandro spun them around while pressing kiss after kiss to his hair and face. Rudy's chittering laughter chased away some of the remaining displeasure Alejandro felt at the state of their base. He finally pulled back, cupping his siren's face, looking him over.

"You okay, amor? Hurt anywhere?" Alejandro asked him.

Rudy blushed and halfheartedly attempted to push him away, "No soy una damisela en apuros, Alejandro."

"Nunca mientras esté aquí, bellezo." Alejandro said, voice husky as he leaned down and carefully ran his teeth over Rudy's neck.

Rudy squeaked and laughed again, shoving him a little harder this time, "Later, mi vida!"

Soap grinned, watching them from afar with Gaz.

"Those two are so fuckin' cute." Soap commented.

Gaz nodded and unzipped a pocket on the inner lining of his vest, retrieving the same dandelion from before and held it up in their direction.

"Mm. Tara agrees." Gaz told him.

"Tara?" Soap raised an eyebrow.

"That's their name." Gaz informed, "He's called Tara. He's of the genus taraxacum. Tara."

"Right. Makes sense." Soap replied, even though it didn't make a whole lot of sense to him in all honesty.

"What about you?" Gaz asked.

Soap blinked, "I called you my brother and you don't even know my name? That's fucked up, Kyle."

Gaz punched him in the arm, "Not your name! I'm talking about being cute, with Ghost."

Soap instantly blushed to the tips of his ears, "Well, Simon's very patient with me. I don't think he's lookin' for somethin' quite like that." He gestured at the still embracing couple ahead of them.

"Is that something you're looking for, puppy?" Gaz asked him and Soap blushed impossible harder.

"I-I dinnae ken! I mean, he's our lieutenant. Isn't that, like, hella fuckin' unprofessional?" Soap stammered.

Gaz shrugged, "I mean, absolutely it is, but you also turn into a dog. And he drinks blood. So there are some other slightly more unprofessional things within this situation."

Gaz had him there. He just wasn't sure if Ghost felt the same way. Sure, he had gotten Soap off that one time. And told him he was the best thing he had ever tasted. And cuddled him in a cozy bed. But he very well could have just been humoring him. He had nearly died the night before. How was he meant to pursue something when he had no real way to know if Ghost cared about him in that way.

Gaz was suddenly brightening and running off in another direction. Soap looked up to see Ghost and Price returning from the crash site. Gaz collided with Price, wrapping his arms around him firmly.

"Any chance I can convince you to make our task force helicopter free?" Gaz asked as Price shook off his surprise.

He chuckled before hugging his kid back, "Not a chance, Sprout."

Soap had just lifted his hand to smile and wave at Ghost when the man was suddenly gone. He had sidestepped into the shadow of a building and then he was stepping out of one just in front of him.

"Steamin' bloody Jesus, LT!" Soap exclaimed, practically jumping out of his skin.

"Get the fuck over here, Johnny."

"What-?"

Soap was cut off as Ghost pulled him into his chest. Soap stiffened before he melted against him, enjoying breathing in his scent.

"I'm glad you killed that bastard, because I would have gotten carried away." Ghost muttered darkly. Soap pressed farther into him, feeling the rumble of his voice.

"Gave 'im hell, Simon. Just for you."

"Atta boy, Johnny."

Soap preened under the praise. That's all he wanted. Ever since he had met him on that tarmac. He just wanted to be good for him.

"When I heard you say he had a tank... you scared me, Johnny."

"So you do like me?" Soap recalled their conversation a few nights prior.

"More than you know, love."

Soap felt his eyes widen at the name and the feeling of a masked kiss being pressed to his mohawk, messy from his own mask. He didn't get a chance to enjoy it for too long, unfortunately. Ghost ran a hand up his back and he flinched and let out a pained yelp. Ghost quickly pulled away from him and spun him around to look at his back.

Lifting up his shirt revealed a variety of slices and spots, they were already healing. Normally that would be great, but not now. Because now, Soap had little bits of metal and other shrapnel stuck into his skin. His flesh was struggling to heal around and over it.

"How close were you?" Ghost breathed.

Soap shrugged with a slight wince, "Blocked Rudy. Didnae want him gettin' hurt."

Ghost shook his head. His Johnny. His good Johnny. Too good for himself sometimes. Ghost lowered the shirt back down and grabbed his hand, beginning to drag him off. He hoped the med bay wasn't too damaged. He wanted a clean and comfortable space to pick and cut all of the debris from his back.