Chapter 21: A Tank to A Gun Fight

Everything was going quite smoothly, until it wasn't.

The plan had been solid, and all things considered, they didn't really have any issues working through the Vaqueros' Shadow infested base. They had to split up into groups, unfortunate, but typical in their line of work.

Alejandro had reluctantly managed to separate himself from Rodolfo. The separate teams needed one of each of them to give them access to the buildings and to be able to properly lead them through. He sent him with Soap and Ghost, trusting that they would keep each other well and safe. Price trusted Alejandro with Gaz while he worked from above in a helo. It was a serious olive branch, no pun intended, for the Captain to partner him up with one of the Vaqueros. Showing them full trust. And uniting them as one team.

A wrench had been thrown into their plan, however, in the form of an RPG. An RPG which made contact with Price's helo, exactly when Rudy, Soap, and Ghost were in direct pursuit of Graves.

Soap and Rudy got to the wall first. He bent down to give Rudy a boost. Once he was topside, he offered Soap a hand and pulled him up. Ghost ran up behind them.

"Ghost, ya comin'?" Soap called over.

Ghost hated to separate himself from Soap. And Rudy for that matter. He felt responsible for their safety. Especially after Graves had already nearly gotten the both of them killed. But this is what he gets for getting to the wall last. Price and his pilot needed him.

"No. Price and the pilot need help. You two finish this." He told him.

Soap and Rudy exchanged a determined look. Before a sound drew their attention.

"Look!" Soap's eyes widened at the sight emerging from around the corner.

"That's not ours!" Rudy confirmed.

Ghost stayed just in time to see them get over the wall safely, and for his heart to drop as Soap exclaimed, "Holy shit. Graves brought a fuckin' tank!"

Soap and Rudy quickly got to cover as Graves was already firing on them.

"Looks like the hunters are getting hunted now, huh?" Graves taunted through comms, "Ain't that a kick in the ass? I thought you freaks were supposed to be the predators."

"Can't wait to bake this bastard." Soap growled.

"We'll need something stronger than these guns for that tank." Rudy told him, "This is our training area, I'm sure there's something around here we can use."

Then a realization must have hit him, "Soap! C4! Find some we can use on the tank!"

"You and your Mexican monster buddies fucked with the wrong hombre, MacTavish." Rudy and Soap both decided that he really did like to hear himself talk.

They made their way through the training buildings and structures, searching for their prize.

"Come on out and we can talk about it!" Soap shot back.

He heard Rudy snort from beside him and he deemed his snark successful. After clearing this structure of Shadows they moved up the stairs.

"You think this is a fucking game out here, mutt? You wanna play war? Let's play some fucking war, chicos!"

Soap had to fight the urge to groan at how annoying Graves was like this. He was practically itching to put him in the ground.

"One of you dipshits needs to die last. Who's it gonna be? I suppose I could still keep Rudy around for tears, and morale boosting."

Soap felt his teeth grow sharp and let loose a snarl at the comment, "Go fuck yerself, Graves!"

Soap leaped from the roof of the training structure while Rodolfo moved around in the other direction. Doing his best to ignore the spike of anxiety in his gut that Graves had sewn. Graves was still yapping at Soap.