Chapter 29: Extra Quirky

They were discharged by the medical team, quite reluctantly, the next day. It was evening when they were finally out in their van and headed to the place Laswell had hooked them up with. Soap was quiet on the drive, and that was making Ghost think that maybe something was wrong. Price wasn't helping on that front as he kept looking in the rearview mirror and saying things to him.

"How're you holding up back there, son?"

"Feeling good, sergeant?"

"Just a bit further, pup."

Like what was happening here? Gaz didn't seem to be questioning it, he was far too focused on watching the trees fly by as they drove into the woods of Illinois.

"You still sore, Johnny?" Ghost asked, eager to get him talking. He had grown accustomed to the man's constant chatter and the absence of it now was strangely unnerving. Soap didn't answer him, just kept bouncing his leg, so he tried again "Johnny?"

His head snapped toward him, "Oh, sorry 'bout that, LT. What didja say?"

"Just asked if you were still feeling sore."

"Oh, yeah. Not too bad. Starting to heal up I think."

"Remember what the doctor said." Price called back, "You're keeping it low key, understood?"

"Yessir." Soap said a bit miserably and flopped his head back against the window.

Ghost huffed and they returned to their uncomfortable silence.

They eventually arrived at a property with a large cabin on it. The sun was almost totally down by now. Ghost and Gaz began unloading their bags and equipment and heading inside.

"Soap, you're with me." Price told him and gestured toward a little path into the trees.

Soap nodded and followed after him. Ghost furrowed his brow, thinking about following, but Gaz called his name and momentarily drew his attention away.

Price came back alone, and ducked into one of the bedrooms before emerging with a bunch of blankets and pillows. He left again, and Ghost knew he shouldn't follow and intrude, so he looked out the window and watched the captain open up the back of the van and retrieve a load of...

Chains?

What the fuck?

Then he disappeared back down the path. Ghost stared after him until he disappeared again. He huffed. Gaz was already in his room, and now Ghost couldn't focus on a damn thing other than their captain and his Johnny.

He shook his head and retrieved a book from his bag before settling down on the couch. He wasn't going to be sleeping until he knew what was going on, so he waited.

A whole three hours passed before the door opened again and Price walked in.

"Alright, Captain?"

Price jumped out of his skin and spun around, "Jesus Christ, Simon! Why aren't you in bed right now?"

Ghost shrugged, "Doing some light reading. What about you? And my sergeant?"

Price shook his head, "Soap is just fine. I came up to get an extra jacket. It's cold here in November."

Ghost hummed and stared after him as he wandered down the hall. Gaz walked out and into the kitchen with a yawn. Probably getting something to drink.

Ghost's head whipped around as his ears picked up the noise of a distant crash. Apparently it had been loud enough for the others to hear as they both came running out into the living room.