Chapter 18: Grew Him Myself

Ghost thought they needed to put Soap on a leash. And not in a sexy way.

Well...

Maybe in a sexy way.

But not right now.

No. Right now it was because his sergeant was practically bouncing off the walls now that Gaz and the Captain were with them. He had clearly been beyond relieved to find them to be still trustworthy after the heart wrenching betrayal of someone he had thought to be his friend. He and Gaz wrestled with each other like siblings. If Ghost didn't know he wasn't, he would have assumed they were both werewolves. Acting like littermates. But Ghost was beginning to get the sense that was due to their close relationship to the Captain.

It was interesting to see Price interact with them. The man's mustache could frequently be seen quirking up into a smile at the sight of his two sergeants. Even if the one with the mohawk seemed to have boundless energy in his system. Fortunately he wasn't interrupting anything too important with his antics, as they were waiting for Alejandro and Rudy to return from the river.

Soap had asked if they should go check on them, to which Ghost gave a firm no. That wasn't something they needed to interrupt. If he understood sirens properly at least. Fortunately he didn't have to hold Johnny back for too long, as in the early afternoon, the two Vaqueros returned.

Rudy looked like the picture of health. And he was sporting a cool new white streak in his hair. Ghost felt good in his decision to leave them be at the sight of all the bite marks and hickeys he could see across his neck.

Apparently the sight of both Vaqueros back and healthy again proved too much for Soap. His excitement reaching unmanageable levels. He was flying past Ghost before he could stop him, and Ghost's eyes widened as before he reached Rudy, he was no longer the Soap he had grown accustomed to. Instead he was a large shaggy grey dog. A wolf.

He flew into Rudy, knocking him over. Alejandro looked momentarily ready to defend his partner, but relaxed at the sound of his chittering laughter mixed with very human giggles. Soap was licking at his face, clearly relieved to see him so alive and bright.

"Soap! Perrito! That tickles, hermano!" Rudy laughed. Voice coming out in strange layers as he was tickled. Soap's onslaught of kisses seemed to make Rudy's skin shimmer and Alejandro beamed at the sight, laughing in turn.

"Soap!" Price called, making his head perk up to face him, "Ease up, son."

Soap obediently clambered off of Rudy and trotted over to where Gaz appeared to be speaking to a house plant. Price stepped up beside Ghost, "I'm glad he turned. It'll wear him out for a bit."

Ghost huffed and mumbled his agreement. Eyes glued to Soap's wolf form. It was one thing to know he had the ability and another thing entirely to see him just casually shift like that.

He and Price approached Rudy and Alejandro. Rudy shook Price's hand.

"A pleasure, Captain. Thanks for the assist. Sorry I wasn't awake for it." Rudy told him.

Price shook his head, "From what I'm told you saved my sergeant's life. I don't forget those kinds of acts, lad. I can assure you."

Rudy blushed a bit and looked away from the praise.

"What exactly is your other sergeant? If I may ask." Alejandro asked, eyes on Gaz and Soap. "That was some feat he pulled off to get us over that wall."

Price nodded, "He's an impressive one, that's for bloody sure. Grew him myself."

It took a few seconds for the men to realize that Price had meant that literally. And not just as a metaphor for training.

"Found this sickly little sapling in a raid on a lab. They were testing on monsters and creatures of all kinds." Price explained, "I'm a human, but I dabble in magic and the arcane. Thought something seemed off about the plant and I took it with me. Did some research and figured out I had a potential dryad on my hands. I have a little greenhouse at my personal residence, so I took to trying to unlock it."

He paused and scratched at his beard, "I'll admit, I was younger then, not as experienced. Took me a while to figure out the proper magic and care for it. By the time I got it to work he was an adult. Still a kid in my eyes."

"I thought dryads were loyal only to a god or a deity." Alejandro tossed out.

Price nodded, "Normally they are, aye. But without his actual parents to bring him up, he didn't form an attachment to one. Well... he did form an attachment. To me actually."

"Really?" Rudy asked, very much intrigued.

"Yep. Loyal as anything that one. I've told him over and over, he doesn't owe me a damn thing, but he's insistent. Always says he's with me to the end. I worry he'll hold himself to that." Price muttered, "But he and Soap get on well. Something about the forest I'm sure."

Ghost hadn't ever heard about how Gaz came to be. He was always impressed by the presence alone of a dryad on the team. Not to mention how strong he was. But now it made sense. Price was practically his father. He wouldn't mention that thought to either man. He was sure they would be embarrassed.

"What's going on with General Shepherd?" Rudy asked, changing the subject of conversation to something a little more structured.

Price released a puff of air, eager to light one of his cigars, "He's a maggot is what's going on. I thought I could give him a ring once we were all accounted for. Hear it all from him"

All of them nodded, eager.