Chapter 25

The next day the team marched into the familiar shipping container. Alejandro had tried to tell Rudy to wait for them. He had promised not to allow this specific individual to speak to him again after all. But Rudy had been insistent about being there for their talk.

Sitting in the very same folding chair as before, looking extremely smug, was Valeria. She grinned at them as they all began to file in.

She fixed her eyes on Alejandro first, "¿Qué pasó, vaquero? ¿Empezaste una guerra? La violencia te sigue a todas partes. Me gusta."

Alejandro grimaced, "No hice un trato contigo. Lo hicieron."

Valeria pointed at him, "Ese es tu error."

Price stepped forward. They needed to get the intel from her before he sicked the boys on her. "You knew there was a third missile?"

She made a face of mock ignorance, "Oh, I didn't count them. I have people for that."

"She's lying." Alejandro announced, even though Soap and Ghost could already tell that much.

"Where's Hassan?" Gaz piped up.

"Where's the other missile?" Ghost rumbled from beside Soap.

Valeria's eyes flicked to him for a moment, briefly scanning him before answering, "Chicago."

All of the men shared a few looks of confusion and outrage. It had already shipped?

"What the fuck is going on?" Gaz asked.

Alejandro began to prowl around Valeria's seat. A predator moving. But she didn't flinch.

"I told you I'd tell you where he was. I didn't say I would stop him."

"Fucking scorpion." Alejandro muttered before addressing the rest of the men, "I warned you she would do this!"

"I run a business, señores. We grow or we die. It's the way of the world." She sounded so smug, Soap was struggling to contain a growl.

"You put a target on your back." Price told her.

"No." She disagreed, "I put a target in Chicago. Now fucking leave Las Almas and go find it. If you're here, Graves is dead. You have no more business here."

Alejandro circled back around to the front of her, "What did you tell Graves, pendeja?"

She tilted her head at him innocently, "Only the truth, Alejandro. My skill set gave me unique insight into your... conditions."

"What did he offer you?" Soap asked, lip curling.

She smiled, "Ah, see? Jabón understands the business mindset. With Los Vaqueros out of the picture we would work together. Cartel money is very tempting to men like Graves. He spoke with me the night of our first chat. He was interested after some of my comments. He suspected Alejandro and Rudy, but he was surprised to learn about the other visiting soldiers."

Alejandro stepped closer, "What did you tell him about us?"

Valeria's gaze shifted back up to him, almost amused, "You only care about one of you. The siren."

"If you know what I want to hear then tell me. Get to the point." Alejandro demanded.

"I already said. I told him the truth. The rest of you were monsters he would want to kill. But a siren? Now that's a trophy to keep around. Useful. Get himself a little tank for him. Tears would keep his team healthy and unstoppable." Her eyes slid past Alejandro and landed on Rudy, "A pretty toy for his men to play with on good behavior."

Alejandro let out a deep rumbling sound somewhere between a growl and a bark. His eyes flashed and his teeth extended. His fingers extended into dark claws on one hand and he lashed out, catching her in the arm. Leaving long claw marks dripping through her long sleeve shirt. She gasped, a surprised noise more than pained. She stared at Alejandro with wide eyes.

Clearly she had never expected Alejandro to actually try and hurt her. He raised his hand to strike again, eyes glued onto the target of her throat. In a flash Rudy had stepped between his partner and Valeria, catching his wrist so that he wouldn't act on his anger.

"No, Alejandro. Esto no es lo que hacemos." He told him.

"Ella merece la muerte por eso." Alejandro growled around long saber-like teeth, "The bitch doesn't deserve to breathe the same air as you, amor. Let me kill her for you."
Rudy shook his head, "We need her alive. She has information we could use to fight the cartel. She deserves a trial like any other criminal we bring in."

Alejandro was looking past him at Valeria. The woman looked a little confused by the whole exchange. Rudy released his wrist and cupped his cheeks.

"Please, Alejo. Calm yourself. For me?"

That instantly cooled Alejandro off, his not fully shifted form melting away. He took a deep breath through his nose before nodding.

"Okay."

Rudy released his with a slightly sad smile and let Alejandro guide him back to his position behind him. Alejandro looked back down at Valeria, much calmer now.

"My second in command just saved your life. I believe you owe him a thank you." Alejandro told her, a note of warning behind his words.

Valeria didn't say anything at first, but she reluctantly looked back at Rudy.

"Thank you, Rodolfo."

It sounded like it pained her to thank him for anything. For his part, Rudy didn't dignify her with a response. He kept his face expressionless and unceremoniously turned and exited the container confidently. Alejandro gave Valeria one last growl before stepping back to give Price the helm.

"For now, she's yours." Price told him before addressing her, "But we'll be back."

Facing Price, Valeria slid her mask of confidence back on, "I look forward to it."