Chapter 38: On the Road Again

Under normal circumstances, Price wanted Gaz to be honest with the team when they asked him what was wrong. But not this time. He went and fetched Gaz from Soap, before he could pull an answer from him, to explain Soap's memory situation.

He assured Gaz that he could absolutely talk about it with him, but just to be wary of any signs of discomfort from the wolf. Gaz nodded emphatically and told him that he would be careful about it.

It hurt Gaz's heart to know that Soap might have come from a similar situation as him. As much as it hurt him, his mother had spared him quite a bit of inevitable torture by placing him in dormancy. He hated to think of the possible things he could have gone through. It was a sort of sick mercy that he couldn't remember. But now that blissful ignorance about his past was going to be slowly drawn away from him.

They spoke to Kate before doing anything else. She thought about it, before deciding to proceed with shipping them out of Illinois.

They were headed to London.

It was also decided that they should wait until they arrived to explain the full situation to Soap. And he could definitely tell. The looks his teammates were shooting each other told him that they shared some knowledge that he wasn't privy to. He trusted them more than anything, so it didn't bother him too much, but it was a little scary.

Especially since every once in a while they spoke to him like he was sick. Occasionally asking him strange questions.

"How're you feelin', Soap?" They would ask.

"Just fine." He would say, "Why?"

"Oh, just checking on you." They would laugh and try to act casual.

So, yeah. It was weird and something was definitely up. But he was just rolling with the punches.

He was ecstatic to finally get to leave Chicago. Good riddance city where he was almost thrown off a skyscraper! See you, hopefully, never.

He napped on Ghost's shoulder during the flight and the man wrapped an arm around him. He was surprised Ghost was so touchy, but he seemed to be after they established themselves together. Or maybe he was just touchy with him. Either way he liked it.

London was fucking cold this time of year, though. So they didn't leave the chill behind in the states unfortunately.

They were set up on a nearby military base. Price was able to hook them up with their own small barracks building. Ghost was thankful for that, because outside of the team, he didn't like socializing with anyone else.

He and Ghost tossed their stuff into their shared room and Soap flopped down onto one of the beds.

"Home sweet home for a while. Ay, LT?"

"Suppose so, Sergeant." He stood there staring at him for a moment.

"What's up, Simon?"

"We should go grab Price and Gaz, we need to talk about something."

"Is everything alright-?"

They were cut off by the sound of approaching footsteps from the hallway through the open door. They turned to see who it was, both expecting to be met with the sight of one of the base's officers coming to check on them. Instead, it was the last people Soap would have ever expected to see on a British military base.

Soap was flying off the bed before either of them had even glanced in their direction and practically threw them both to the ground.

"Woah, woah! Settle down, Perrito!" Alejandro laughed as he was collided into.

"What are you two eejits doin' here?" Soap asked eagerly.

"What can we say? Solo queríamos ver a nuestro lobo favorito." Rudy told him with a gentle shove.

Ghost came up behind them and hoisted Soap off of them so that they could get back up, "Didn't realize you boys were coming."

"After Price called we wanted to come." Alejandro explained.

"Laswell got us here. She thought it would be nice to keep it a surprise." Rudy tacked on with a smile.

Ghost noticed the way both sets of eyes were scanning over Soap. Much like theirs had been over the past few days. Searching for something amiss. Visually Soap looked fine, they wouldn't find anything.

"What did Price call ya about?" Soap asked, confused.

The three men looked between each other for a moment before Ghost placed a hand on the nape of his neck and squeezed gently, "That's what we wanted to talk to you about."