Chapter 8: Only Tame For Him

Rodolfo was a little down in the dumps.

He was alone with the rest of the vaqueros and shadows that had not gone on the mission to shut down the missile. Under normal circumstances, Rudy would have been ideal on a mission like this. It was in the ocean after all! But there were too many variables this time.

First of all, they didn't know where Hassan was. He could very well be on one of those ships, and Alejandro was still adamant on keeping him away from Rodolfo. Second, while some of the vaqueros knew what he was, the members of Shadow Company didn't. And they didn't need to be flaunting it around, for Rudy's sake. Third and finally, the sea was going to be extremely choppy and rough. It was storming all day even so far inland, the ocean was bound to be even worse. And so close to so many boats and ships and propellers. No. Not safe. Too dangerous.

Anyway. That was essentially the speech Alejandro had given Rudy before they left. Telling him that he would not be joining them, and to hold down the fort. Rudy had tried to be mature about it, but he couldn't help the mournful whistles and clicks that had escaped his throat. Alejandro had hugged him tight, pressed a kiss to his forehead, and promised to bring him back a bottle of fresh ocean water.

Rudy liked to mix it in his bath water.

But now. With Alejandro out to sea. Two of the things that he wanted and craved the most felt so far away now. He was left to mope around their room. He sang to himself in an attempt to soothe. Alejandro had soundproofed his room so that he could sing freely if he wanted. Didn't have to worry about the other soldiers.

He decided he had had enough and got up to take a walk.

It was starting to get dark, and paired with the rain, most of his soldiers were already in their bunks relaxing. He noticed a few of Graves' Shadows peppered about the buildings, they didn't bother him. But each time he passed them, he felt a strange spike of anxiety. He wasn't sure why. They had been nothing but kind to them and their 141 guests.

He made his way out and into the rain, soaking up some of the water on his face. He could distantly taste the ocean on it. After what most humans would consider too long in the rain and slightly chilly wind, he returned inside. Wiping a hand over his face to clear the excess water, feeling the way his skin returned to its more human texture.

When he stepped back into the hallway to head back to their room, he noticed it was absent of Shadows. This wasn't too abnormal, they very well could have just gone to bed. But his mind took note of it all the same.

He moved back through the hall and reentered Alejandro's room, closing the door behind himself. He eagerly hopped onto the bed and smelled the pillowcase. He would go to sleep, and when he woke in the morning, Alejandro would be holding him in his arms. And he would smell of himself and of the sea.

He had barely closed his eyes when he began to hear muffled talking from somewhere. They spoke in hushed whispers, and if he had been a human he definitely would not have heard it. His heart rate spiked. He shouldn't be able to hear anyone outside the room. Not with the soundproofing. He didn't move from his spot, but he carefully peeked open his eyes to check his suspicion.

The bathroom door was ajar, nearly shut. They always left it wide open unless in use. There were people inside. He listened carefully to make out what they were saying.

"Is he sure?"

"That's what that lady told him."

"You think the rumors are true?"

"We'll find out soon enough. The tears are hard to come by these days. It'll be good to have them so close by."

Of course. Of course that's what they wanted. They always wanted that. When most people found out he was a siren, the first thing they asked about was tears. If the legends about them are true. If they can give miraculous healing and strength.