Chapter 84: The Calm

They packed up their gear in a set of vehicles and prepared to depart in the morning. Everyone piled into their seats in their usual pairs. Price spoke to Nikolai just outside the vehicles before they left.

"Tried our best to get someone to stay back with you, Nik. They're all set on going, though." Price told him apologetically.

Nik shrugged, slightly hunched with his wrapped ribs, "I'm fine to house sit for you, John. Lord knows I'd be joining you if I could."

"Well," Price huffed, pursing his lips, "you'll have Precious here with you, at least."

Nikolai gave him a strange look that he couldn't really decipher. Almost amused?

"Sure, John. Now get going, the sooner you kill the bastards the sooner you can come home."

"Yes Sir." John told him teasingly before hopping into the driver seat of one of the vehicles and yanking the door shut behind him.

Laswell hooked them up with a flight out of a private airport. Normally they would go from the nearest military base, but the last one was burnt to a crisp, and they didn't want to put any potential heat, no pun intended, on any other base in the region.

Everyone slept on the flight. Everyone except Price, who sat and watched the whole team draped over their partners in seats and on the floor. He could hear Gaz purring where he lay on his stomach with Roach clung to his back. Soap was curled up in Ghost's lap, mirroring Rudy and Alejandro in the seats across from them. A slightly amusing sight, large military men sleeping in another's lap. But their dynamics were just like that. Farah and Alex were shoulder to shoulder. Alex had a wing wrapped around Farah and the pair had their hands clasped together, fingers laced. König was sitting beside Horangi. The smaller man had fallen asleep and the larger had taken the opportunity to place a hand on his back and ease him down so that his head was resting on his thigh. König's hand had found Horangi's hair at some point and was gently scratching at his scalp. Price could see the griffin's hands kneading at the air and he was sure if he were closer he would have heard his purr alongside Gaz's.

It was peaceful. And warm. And probably the last quiet moment they would have before some sort of chaos. It made Price that much more eager to put an end to the men who were throwing a wrench into the lives of his monsters.

The fight was taking them to a small island off the Gulf of Mexico. There had been sightings of a flame monster all along the coast. From there, Laswell had been able to pinpoint its comings and goings from the island. It was rocky, lots of cliffs overlooking the ocean. A lighthouse situated on the island had been serving as Shepherd's hideout. He had been sending Graves out hunting for Price's team. Coward wanted them all dead before he attempted to come out of hiding.

Clearly Price's threat had been taken to heart.

They would split into groups. They had seen the kind of damage Graves had been able to inflict, but Price was sure he wouldn't have as much energy now right after destroying an entire base the way he had. They needed to move now when he was slightly weakened, time was of the essence.

Rudy, König, Alejandro, and Horangi would approach from the water. Best case scenario was getting Graves dunked in the sea, that would solve most of their problems. It would be tricky, but they needed them down there in case they could. Farah and Alex would position themselves at a distance to try and provide necessary cover fire. Price, Roach, and Gaz would be also, from another angle. Roach and Alex would be able to provide air support if need be. Soap and Ghost would make entry into the lighthouse while the team handled Graves outside. Makarov and Shepherd would be manageable without their guard phoenix.

Orders were simple.

You see any of the three men, you kill them.