V2 Chapter 4 : Sports Festival Begins

Part 1

"Everyone, are your preparations ready?! We're set to enter in no time!" announced Iida.

"Damn, I really wanted to wear my costume," said Ashido, pouting.

We were in our PE shirts, hanging around in the waiting room. 

"They're disallowed so as to even the playing field," explained Ojiro. 

As I casually eavesdropped on my classmates' conversations while leaning on the wall next to the lockers, my friend, Midoriya was busy trying to calm his nervousness. Uraraka was chatting with Asui and Iida was... as usual, being the ever responsible class president he is.

"Midoriya," an unexpected individual called out to Midoriya.

"U-uh... What is it, Todoroki-kun...?"

The sudden confrontation silenced everyone, as they all turned to watch the commotion. I too watched them with interest.

"On an objective basis, I think I'm above you in terms of practical strength," said Todoroki, as he stared down Midoriya, a hand in his pocket.

"Wha--? Ah, uh, yeah..."

"You've managed to get All Might's eyes on you, right?" Todoroki continued with a slight glare. "I feel no need to pry into that, but..." he trailed off, creating a tense atmosphere in the room. "I'm going to beat you," he declared loudly.

"Oho?! What's this, a declaration of war from one of the strongest kid in class?!" Kaminari exclaimed in excitement and surprise. Bakugou beside him was watching the conversation intensely.

"What's with the belligerence all of a sudden?! Don't spring this on him right before--" Kirishima reached out to confront Todoroki.

"I'm not here to play nice and make friends. But whatever," Todoroki said coldly as he shrugged off Kirishima.

Midoriya looked at the ground and clenched his fists dejectedly.

"I have no idea what you want from me tell me all that..." he began. "You're definitely stronger than me... I think the vast majority of people are probably no match for you, looking at it objectively..."

"C'mon, Midoriya. Don't be so negative..." Kirishima said, smiling nervously.

"Even so!" Midoriya cried out. "Everyone--even kids from other departments are aiming for the top with all their might! So not even I... can just lag behind the rest! ...So, I'm going to go for it with all my might too!" Midoriya declared with resolve and determination, not backing down under Todoroki's cold, intimidating glare.

Todoroki stayed silent, although he seemed a little surprised at Midoriya's outburst. Bakugou gritted his teeth angrily at Midoriya from where he sat.

I stood up straight and slipped my hands into my pockets.

"Nice speech, Midoriya," I said, nudging him with my elbow, I looked at him my head half turned to face him. "I wish you good luck in today's sports festival."

"Yes! I wish you good luck too, Ayanokouji-kun!"

"...Ayanokouji," Todoroki called out as I moved to leave the room. "I won't lose to you either... I hope you're ready."

"...I'm ready whenever you are, Todoroki," I replied. "But, I'm not the only one here that's gunning for the top. For starters, I believe that Bakugou, will be giving you a bit of a tough time later on... Right?" I said that last part looking at the blonde-haired boy.

"You sure as hell better be ready to grovel before me!" Bakugou declared.

I could hear muffled cheers coming from outside the room. It was about time we make our entry into the stadium.