V3 Chapter 5 : The Hero Killer

I'm really sorry for this way overdue—by almost 2 months—chapter. I was stuck on the last part for god knows how long. Plus, exams ended last week and, I swear, I'm so dead. I can only hope my results didn't plummet too much.

Anyways, I hope you enjoy this somewhat short chapter—anything lower than 4k words is short in my eyes—and I'll work on the next one right away.

Sorry for the delay, again...

1

He had to be overthinking things, but Midoriya couldn't shake the feeling that something was out of place. Nomus were running rampant in the city where the Hero Killer Stain was currently residing, causing chaos at every turn. Amidst the turmoil, Midoriya was possibly the only person who could recognize the unsettling possibility: the Hero Killer and the League of Villains might be working together.

If that theory held true, it meant that the Hero Killer was somewhere nearby at that moment. A sudden realization struck Midoriya.

Iida hadn't been present at the main incident site earlier, despite being an intern in the area.

Could it be...? Has he found the Hero Killer?!

Driven by concern, Midoriya leaped from wall to wall, navigating the alleys in search of Iida. Dread filled him as he desperately scanned the area. As he turned around one of the corners, he spotted his friend on the floor with a sharp blade pointed at him. A figure stood over Iida. Midoriya didn't give it another thought and instantly lunged towards him, landing a solid punch on the Hero Killer's face.

"Bingo," he muttered triumphantly when he saw who he hit.

Stain, upon seeing Midoriya, recognized him as the boy despised by Shigaraki.

"Midoriya?!" Iida exclaimed in shock. "But why...?!"

"It was on TV...! They mentioned how sixty percent of the Hero Killer's victims were discovered around blind corners in deserted areas, so I've been scouring the alleys near the hero agencies, close to the center of all the chaos looking for you!" Midoriya explained, his focus never leaving the Hero Killer. "Can you move?! Head for the main road and get some pros to come help us!"

"I can't move...! He cut me... That's likely his quirk..."

"They were talking about that... So he needs to cut you to activate his quirk?" Midoriya mumbled. His eyes darted around the area, landing on the other victim of the Hero Killer.

"Midoriya, don't...interfere..." Iida forced out. "This has nothing to do with you!"

"What's a hero supposed to do when you say stuff like that?" Midoriya replied, feeling the weight of his fears becoming reality. Iida was, indeed, seeking revenge.

Ignoring Iida's pleas, Stain started walking menacingly towards the two friends. "A friend shows up and says, 'I'm here to save you.' A good line for sure, but it's my duty to kill these two. And if we're forced to fight, then naturally..." He trailed off, a dangerous glint in his eyes. "The weaker of us will be culled. So, what now?"

Stain's bloodlust sent shivers rolling down Midoriya's spine. He recognized the imminent danger and almost gave in to despair, but he remembered his dream of becoming a hero. He couldn't give up now.

Midoriya scanned the surroundings, searching for any way to escape this perilous situation and save both Iida and the other hero. He regretted not putting more effort into seeking help from the pros earlier, but it was too late to regret it now. His only option was to protect the vulnerable and buy time, or perhaps even fend off the Hero Killer himself.

"No!" Iida shouted, his voice strained. "I told you to run! This is none of your business!"

"What's a hero if he ignores a friend in need?" Midoriya replied, his voice determined. "I've got a lot to say to you, but that'll have to come later...because it's like All Might said: giving help that's not asked for...is what makes a true hero." He forced a brave smile, readying himself for what was to come.