protective - t.c

protective - t.c

in which you realize you've never actually hated each other

-

Just as you are about to sit down on the couch to settle down and watch your favorite Netflix show, you are startled by frantic loud knocks at the door.

"What the hell?" you muttered lowly. You tip-toed towards the door, feeling uneasy. Just as you approached the door, more loud pounding echoed from the door, making you jolt once again.

You set both of your palms on the door and looked through the eyehole of the door to see a familiar frame. Tara.

"What could she possibly want?" You thought to yourself. You and Tara have always clashed since meeting each other - to the point where it was almost unbearable to be around each other while hanging out with your mutual friend group.

More pounding on the door came from the girl's small fist. "Y/n! Please... it's Tara." Her voice sounded desperate.

You unlocked the deadbolt of the door, opening it slightly. "What could you possibly want, Carpent-" you cut yourself off when you saw she had mascara-stained tears flowing from her dark brown eyes.

You opened the door fully, quickly putting your hand behind her back and ushering her inside. You closed the door, locking it behind you.

"What the fuck happened, Tara?" Your voice is now filled with concern. You quickly noticed she was holding her arm with her palm, crimson blood slowly dripping from it onto your white carpet.

She let out a few cries as she spoke. "Someone in... a-a Ghostface mask..." she trailed off.

"God dammit," you muttered. You knew Ghostface coming back for her was her biggest fear, and is now a reality. "You're hurt, let me see."

"It's just a scratch," she breathed heavily.

"You know damn well, Tara..." you snarked. You gently grabbed onto her good arm and led her towards the kitchen, which she tried to resist.

"I'll-I'll be fine."

"Now's not the time to be stubborn Carpenter," you replied to her gesture of pulling back.

You gently placed your hands around Tara's waist, she gasped lightly as you hoisted her up onto the counter.

"Let's see the damage," you nodded toward her arm which was covered by her jacket. She obliged and slid her jacket off of her shoulders and then off her arms, revealing a deep, yet fixable, wound along her forearm.

"Tsssss," you hissed when you saw the wound. "That's gonna need some fixing up."

You knelt down and reached into the cabinet under the sink, pulling out your suture and bandage kit.

"Let's see if being a nursing major taught me anything," You joked. You stood up and set the kit next to her.

"No way I'm letting you sew me up, y/n." Tara shook her head, her doe eyes wide as she looked up at you.

"Just trust me," you whispered quietly.

-

You began suturing up Tara's wound, making small talk as you did so; making something snap and realizing you would do anything to keep her safe, even if it meant putting yourself at risk. You'd die for her.

She kept her free hand around your shoulder, gripping it tightly whenever she felt the suture needle pierce her skin. She pulled her arm away slightly in response to the needle.

"Stay still, I don't want to hurt you," you said while focusing on her arm. While you had a calm composure, your heart raced a mile a minute.

She sniffled and nodded once. "Thank you," she spoke softly.

"For what?" You questioned while peering up at her, her eyes already set on you. She made your heart skip a beat. She was s beautiful, even when a mess like this.

"For helping me. I know you hate me."

You raised an eyebrow up at her. "Hate you? You think I hate you?" You were surprised by her statement, while she did get under your skin at times, you couldn't hate her and never will. You broke the eye contact to place one last stitch. Her skin came together as if there were never an existing slice.

"Wait -" she paused. "You don't hate me?" You could feel her eyes burning into you, making you look up and lock your eyes back with her again.

"No," you stated confidently while shaking your head. "Never did," you admitted.

Tara bit down on her lip, her heart fluttering. "Me either," she confessed.

The truth was now out. You stood in silence, refusing to break eye contact with her. You internally admired the beautiful girl, taking in all the traits you've failed to notice before. The way her freckles are dappled perfectly over her nose and cheeks, the way her nose flares slightly whenever she takes a breath... the list goes on. You wish you could have noticed the little things earlier.

Tara broke the eye contact by letting her eyes flutter from your eyes to your lips, then back to your eyes again.

You both leaned in in unison and once close enough, you could feel her warm breath. You heard her gulp once your lips got close to hers.

"Is this okay?" you whispered quietly, your lips just barely brushing over hers.

She nodded silently, inviting you to proceed.

The kiss lasted for 20 seconds but felt like a millisecond. Fireworks felt like they were being set off in your chest. Her lips were softer than anything you'd felt before and so sweet. You couldn't feel anything in that moment, because all you felt was her.

She pressed her forehead to yours after the kiss, letting out a shaky breath. "It's been exhausting pretending to hate you," she whispered.

-end