doubt - j.o

doubt - j.o
-

You watched from the window as guests gathered towards their seats, waiting for the wedding. Everyone looked happy - dressed in pastels, socializing with each other. You couldn't help but wish she was marrying you instead.

You've been best friends almost your whole life. But for as long as you can remember, you wished you could be more than that. You bit the inside of your cheek, feeling sadness, jealousy, and a little bit of anger that you had never taken your chance. Maid of Honor just wasn't enough.

A click of the door unlocking beside you cut off your thoughts, you fixed your posture and looked over.

Jenna opened the door, revealing her in her elegant laced gown. Her hair was styled in the most beautiful updo, and a few curled strands of hair framed her face. She looked up at you with a half smile.

Your heart thudded against your ribcage at the sight of her beauty. You kept your glance set on her for a few seconds, feeling envious of the lucky man whom she was about to devote her life to.

"Help me zip up?" She asked quietly, interrupting your thoughts. The smile quickly faded from her face. She already knew you would say yes. Before you could answer, she turned herself around into the dressing room.

"Of course," you said with a small grin. As heartbroken as you were, just the sight of her brought a smile to your face.

Grabbing the bottom of your dress, you followed her into the room, closing the door softly behind you.

Jenna stayed silent, it wasn't like her. You grabbed the small zipper and began zipping it up her spine.

"You look beautiful," you said quietly. The smell of her sweet perfume rose through the air. You let out a small breath through your mouth after taking in the smell.

Jenna felt your breath brush against the nape of her neck, she felt her body shiver at the feeling.

When she didn't respond to your compliment, you knew something was off.

"You alright?" You asked concerned. Your stomach twisted at the chance she may be upset with you.

A quiet sigh escaped her lips, still facing away from you, she looked down at her dress. You overheard an almost silent sniffle. Historically, Jenna always tried to hide that she was crying. You quickly locked the door behind you to ensure there wouldn't be any unwanted visitors.

"Jenna," you said gently. "Look at me."

Slowly, she looked over her shoulder, revealing her flushed cheeks and watery brown eyes. Your eyes softened at seeing her in such a sad state.

You took her forearm softly in your palm and spun her around to fully face you. Jenna was biting down on her lip, a tear threatening to fall from her eyes.

"What's wrong?" You questioned. You couldn't imagine why she'd be so sad on the supposed "happiest day" of her life.

Her walls broke down and she let out a small cry. Tears now streaming down her face. You took a tissue and dabbed her face gently as they fell.

"I-I can't.." She stuttered.

"You can't what, Jens?" You frowned. You took your free hand and gently caressed her cheek, pulling her face up to keep eye contact with you.

She only looked for a moment before turning her eyes away.

"I can't do... This," she said with a hand motion towards the window where family and friends gathered at the venue. "The wedding."

You hate to admit that you were happy. You nodded and looked at the window and back at her.

"Why, Jenna?"

She turned her head away from you and shook her head, avoiding eye contact.

You took a step forward, taking one of your fingers under her chin and turning her face back at you.

With her cheeks wet, she looked up at you with large innocent doe eyes. You felt yourself go weak looking into her eyes.

Once her eyes were locked onto yours, she couldn't look away.

With your hand still under your chin and your eyes still looking into hers, like a magnet, your faces slowly drew together.

Jenna's eyes flicked down to your lips briefly as they approached hers. Knowing what was next, slowly she closed her eyes and felt herself go into a euphoric state once your lips met.

A warm sensation ran through your body once your lips connected. Jenna brought one of her hands up and cupped the side of your cheek gently and deepened the kiss. Your lips moved together, both of you wishing this would last forever.

She made a soft noise before pulling herself away from your lips for air. Your eyes opened and met hers - her watery brown eyes putting you in a trance. Silence filled the room aside from the noises of your quiet shaky breaths.

Before either of you could speak about what had just happened, three knocks sounded at the door behind you.

Both you and Jenna's eyes widened and the two of you stayed silent. Another three knocks.

"Jenna? It's Mom," Natalie said behind the door.

"It's fine," Jenna reassured with a whisper. She pushed by you gently and opened the door. Tears pricked Jenna's eyes; afraid to disappoint her mom.

Natalie looked into the dressing room and it only took a couple of seconds before she put two and two together.

Natalie gave an empathetic and accepting smile. She knew this all along - even before the two of you did. Gently, she drew Jenna into a hug and gave her a kiss on the side of her head.

"I had a feeling this may happen," she spoke softly, pulling away from Jenna. "I'll let everyone know you are sick, they'll be leaving shortly," Natalie spoke in a reassuring tone, a soft grin staying on her face the whole time.

Natalie glanced over at you and held out a set of keys. "Take the car back to our place, okay? Just take the back door out of here. We can figure this all out later."

You took the keys in your hands and looked back at Jenna, who still had tears in her eyes but she was smiling. Genuinely.

"Thank you, Mom," Jenna said, giving her mom another hug.

As the two of you started to go past Natalie, she spoke once more.

"And y/n?"

You stopped in your tracks and turned back to her. "Yes, Mrs. Ortega?"

"I'm glad it's you."

Hearing Natalie say that made you feel overjoyed. All of this time you weren't sure how Jenna's mom would feel if anything ever happened between you and Jenna. Knowing that she's this accepting was everything to you.

"Me too," you agreed, smiling softly.

Jenna took your hand in hers and started leading the both of you towards the back door. You both weren't sure what the future would hold, but you knew it included each other.

-end

a/n: hi. (say hi back... or else.)