heartache - j.o

heartache - j.o

-

It was 11 p.m. but your night was just getting started. Knots twisted in your stomach as you prepared popcorn and other snacks for your movie night with Jenna.

You've been seeing Jenna discreetly for the past 6 months. In these past 6 months she's turned into everything. But here's the catch - she has a boyfriend.

You know it's wrong. But the high you get with her and the riskiness just heightens it all for both of you.

She's expressed in the past that she's not as happy with him anymore. How she wants to just run away with you and restart like he never existed.

While she vulnerably shared those feelings with you, you were certain to support her in any way that you could. You ensured her you weren't going anywhere and that there was no rush to cut things off with her boyfriend. You knew how emotionally draining this was for her - even if it was partially her fault.

You set the snacks and drinks on the living room table and laid the oversized throw blanket on the back of the couch. You queued up Netflix to a rom-com movie for an easy, lighthearted night.

As you did so, her quiet gentle knocks brushed over your apartment door. She tended to try to be as quiet as possible, although no one was around to see her.

Your heart thudded with excitement as you approached the door. Even after six months, she still gave you the adrenaline rush like it was the first time. You clicked the door unlock as quietly as possible for Jenna's peace of mind.

Opening the door, Jenna stood with her hair in a low messy bun and sweatpants. She snuck through the door and you closed it behind you, clicking the lock back in place.

Following your usual routine, you wrap your arms around her and draw her into a tight hug. Usually, she hugs back just as tight, but this time was weak.

Furrowing your eyebrows, you pulled away, knowing something was wrong. You quickly noticed that she was avoiding eye contact.

"Jen? What's up?" You placed your finger under her chin and turned it up towards you, revealing her tear-pricked brown eyes.

You've seen her cry before but this was different.

She sniffled and wiped a tear that rolled down her cheek. "I-I.." You stayed silent, letting Jenna take her time to get the words out. You nodded your head to assure her that you were listening.

"I can't see you anymore."

A ringing began buzzing in your ears. This was a dream right? Your worst nightmare was coming true.

Jenna's eyes flooded with more tears as she saw you practically go into shock.

"Why?" You squeaked out.

Jenna rubbed her forehead with her palm. "I'm pregnant," She blurted out.

You physically felt all of the color drain from your face as she said that. You remembered just a few months ago she spoke how she would want to become a Mom with you. The parents you once yearned to be won't ever come true.

"I'm sorry..." she sighed. "I wish I didn't have to do this. I can't have my little girl grow up without both parents." She placed her hand over her stomach.

Your heart shattered piece by piece with every word she spoke. "Her little girl" was supposed to be "Our little girl." You sucked in a shaky breath and nodded. Even as the girl tore your heart out and threw it on the ground, you continued to be as understanding as you could for her.

"Okay," you sniffled, trying to force a supportive smile but all that came out was a cry.

Jenna winced at the sound of your cry and wrapped her arms around you. "I fucked up. I'm so fucking sorry. I didn't want this to happen," she cried quietly into your chest.

You longed to be in her arms forever, but that would only make the goodbye harder. You gently pushed her away. "You should go," you said while nodding, almost as if you were trying convincing yourself it was the right thing to do.

Jenna looked up at you with her doe eyes. She was hoping to linger just a bit longer before saying goodbye forever. She looked exhausted.

"Can I have one last kiss?" Her voice was barely above a whisper, shaking with each word. She looked at you desperately, hoping you'd grant her last request.

You should've said no. You couldn't. Without hesitation you pressed your lips into hers. Her soft lips moved collectively with yours. A small whimper of a cry slipped from her mouth as you two pulled apart. She put her hand over her mouth to suppress anymore from escaping.

You wiped your tears and sighed loudly. It was time. "Just remember I'll always love you, okay?" You said.

"I will never stop loving you, y/n. Forever the one that I let get away." She scrunched her eyes shut before turning around, clicking the lock back open and stepping out into the hallway.

You watched her walk down the hallway, just wishing she would turn around and say it was a lie. Just something. But she never did.

You closed the door and put the lock back in place. You slid your back down the door and sat on the floor, crying helplessly in your palms.

-

A year has passed. You thought of her daily, it was impossible not to. It felt a little easier now at least.

You were in bed scrolling on Instagram, when you saw a new post from her. It was a selfie of her, her boyfriend, and her now 4 month old daughter.

She looked different. The glimmer in her eyes that once showed her happiness was gone. Dark shadows lived under her eyes, she looked drained. Her smile was obviously forced - she didn't even show her teeth like she used to.

You scrolled to read the caption.

"My little y/n."

She named her daughter after you.

And just like that, the gaping hole she put in your heart that was just beginning to heal, reopened all over again.

-end

a/n: hi