liar - j.o

liar - j.o

college au

-

You were laying across Jenna's bedroom while she was in the bathroom. While mindlessly scrolling on TikTok, Jenna's phone kept buzzing.

After the fourth buzz you couldn't hold back your curiosity. You got up from the bed and saw four text messages from one of her "friends", Arya.

Arya
"so, jenna, when are you going to tell her?"

Arya
"you can't hide this from her forever."

Arya
"maybe i'll just tell her..."

Arya
"lol"

Your heart sunk to your stomach reading the text messages, unsure what they all meant but you could assume Arya was talking about you.

The bathroom door opened and Jenna walked out, confused as to why you had her phone.

Before she could even get the chance to ask, you shoved the phone in her face.

"What is this, Jenna?"

Jenna pulled her face away from the phone to focus her eyes. Her dark brown eyes narrowed as she read the texts. You could tell immediately by her look that she was angry. She slipped on the pair of shoes next to her bed without a word and took her phone from you and started to walk towards the door.

"Where are you going?" You got up and followed her.

She turned around, clearly in a rush. "Do you trust me?"

"Of course but-"

"Good. I'll be back." She opened the door and slammed it shut in front of you, leaving you alone in the now silent apartment.

You tensed up at the loudness of the door slamming. Tears pricked your eyes, but you didn't know why. Something was off. You went and sat back on the bed, just waiting.

Twenty minutes later, you received a text from an unknown number.

"I know where you can find Jenna," it read, followed by an address of a restaurant.

You contemplated before getting dressed quickly and leaving.

-

You arrived at the restaurant and wasted no time before going inside to figure out what is going on.

You glance around the place until Arya and her friend group catches your eye.

You walk over to them and see one of your friends, Maya, who warmly greets you to sit down with them.

You do so while scanning the rest of the restaurant for Jenna but don't see her.

"Do you want anything to eat?" Maya asks and you respectfully decline.

Arya notices your uneasiness and smirks. "So, y/n. How are you and Jenna?"

Your eyes dart to hers, you can tell she has some ill-intention. You give her a fake smile. "Oh. Yeah, we're great.. We've been living together in an apartment off campus."

"Oh, living together? Wow. I didn't think you two would ever get that serious." She says sarcastically, bearing a grin on her face.

You narrow your eyes at her snark. Just as you went to speak, Jenna approached the table.

"What are you doing here?" Jenna questioned you.

"Oh, y/n was just filling us in on the latest. You two are living together I heard." Arya said. "Is there anything you wanted to tell y/n, Jenna?"

You look over at Jenna, your eyes already turning glossy. "What's going on between you and her?" You blatantly asked.

"What? Nothing! Nothing is happening between me and Arya." Jenna says defensively.

"I saw the texts-"

"Nothing is going on!" Jenna's voice raises and then she lowers it again. "I swear, y/n."

"Don't you think this has gone on a little too far, Jenna?" Arya asks then looks over at you. "Something's been going on, but it's not what you think."

"Shut up, Arya." Jenna replies then gently grabs hold of your arm. "Let's get out of here. I will explain everything. I promise."

"Remember when you refused to kiss Jenna at the party during truth or dare when you two first met?" Arya begins, a smirk on her face.

"W-What?" You reply. You remember the game, but nothing happened after that. Or so you thought.

"Arya, don't." Jenna warns.

Arya pulls out her phone and pulls up a video.

"Arya!" Jenna shouts at her. Arya smirks in response and presses play on the video

The video begins rolling and you watch closely. You see Jenna and yourself at the truth or dare party.

"I'm done playing this game." You say in response when someone dares you to kiss Jenna. Your voice says through the phone. You walk away from the truth or dare circle.

Jenna then turns back at the person recording the video. "I like her."

"Looks like you just got your first rejection, Jenna. How's it feel?" Arya teased, her voice came from behind the camera making it clear she was the one recording.

Jenna rolled her eyes. "Here's a dare..." Jenna begins with a smirk. "I'll make her fall in love with me. And then... I'll just" Jenna snaps her fingers. "Turn it off just like that. It'll be a fun little game."

The video ends and there are tears streaming down your face. You look over at Jenna who also has tears in her eyes.

Arya kept the smirk on her face, content with your reaction. "Oops," she taunted then giggled. You ignored her and kept your eyes on Jenna in disbelief.

"Y/n, please. You have to believe me.." Jenna says, her hands shaking as she tries to reach out to you and you push her hand away. "Y/n. It was before everything. It was before I got to know you!"

"Is this true?" Your voice quivers as you speak. "It was all just a fucking game?" You wipe the stream of tears off of your cheeks. You look over at the friend group. "And all of you knew? And you didn't tell me?!"

Your ears begin ringing, your vision is blurry from your tears. You excuse yourself from the table and head towards the exit quickly.

"Y/n!" Jenna calls out. "Wait, y/n!" Her voice is panicked as she catches up to you. "Please."

You turn and face her, your arms wrapped around your torso as you hugged yourself. "I actually thought- I thought you actually loved me, Jenna," you cried.

Tears were now streaming down Jenna's face. Mascara stained her cheeks and her eyes were red from crying. "That was before-"

"Before what, Jenna? Before you snapped your fingers and turn it off?" You look back over your shoulder towards the door and then back at her. You wanted nothing more than to get the fuck out of there.

"You said nothing could change the way you felt about me." Jenna said softly.

"Then I guess we're both liars," you spat. You pushed the door open and exited the restaurant. Just like that, the eternal happiness you thought you had with Jenna was gone.

The brisk air stung your tear stained cheeks but you didn't care.

Nothing could feel worse than the hypothetical dagger that made it's home in your heart.

-end

a/n: omg heyyy,, it's been a minute. i want to start updating more frequently but with writers block and my schedule it's been a bit tough to sit down and write. (pls send requests i'm begging.)

i'm still desperately trying to finish the cairo fic i started but haven't liked how its been coming along. but don't worry, i'm not going anywhere!

also this imagine was inspired by the "after" movie on netflix. which means there may be a part 2 ??