cold case - tara's pov

-

3 months prior to murder

It's been a slow day at the station. The case me and y/n were working on was estimated to be solved in about a week. It only took us 2 days.

As y/n and I were chatting, the Lieutenant approached us at our desks.

"You two are good to go for the day, not much left for you to do," he said.

Y/n looked at me with a sparkle in her eye and gave me that look like she had a great idea.

I smiled back at her and raised an eyebrow. "Whatcha got planned for us?"

She giggled and shrugged. "I dunno, I figured you could come to my place. I can cook dinner and you can meet Grace."

I tried to hide the way my smile fell when I heard Grace's name. It sucked having feelings for the coworker who was taken.

I let out a small breath before speaking. "Yeah, that'd be great..." I said a little more quietly.

Y/n's face brightened up when I obliged to go which warmed my heart. "Amazing, I'll text you my address."

I nodded, pushing some of my bangs to the side. "Okay."

I stood up from my desk and adjusted my duty belt and y/n followed my actions.

She gave me a gentle pat on the shoulder as she walked past. "Come at 5!"

-

I stood at y/n's door in a tight blue top and my hair down. I wasn't sure how casual this dinner would actually be.

Only seconds after my gentle knock, y/n approached and opened the door with a wide smile. "Tara, hi!" She quickly pulled me into an embrace making my cheeks heat up when I felt her touch.

"Hey," I replied calmly despite my heart wanting to jump out of my chest.

My eyes immediately locked onto y/n's girlfriend, Grace who didn't even get up from the couch to introduce herself.

"Grace, this is Tara," y/n said gently with a small smile.

"Mm," Grace responded as she took a handful of chips into her mouth, not bothering to look over at y/n.

I furrowed my eyebrows at the disrespect this girl was showing to her girlfriend.

"Oh, um," Y/n said awkwardly. "Sorry," she whispered towards me.

"Don't worry," I responded with a warm smile. Not a great first impression.

Y/n led me to the kitchen where she had a large selection of food set out on the countertops.

"This looks amazing, you didn't have to do all of this," I looked over at her grabbing plates.

"Please," she responded. "Cooking is one of my love languages." She gave me a quick wink.

Fuck, there goes my heart again. I could feel my cheeks flush pink yet again as I gave her a smile in response.

"Babe, time for dinner," Y/n shouted to her girlfriend in the living room, making my smile quickly fall.

"Yeah," Grace responded. "Just bring it out here, would you?"

I narrowed my eyes sharply at y/n when I heard Grace demanding to be served after y/n just did all of this.