return - j.o

return - j.o

in which you return after being "missing".

-

It was a normal flight back home to see Jenna... or so you thought. Your plane lands on the runway and you are met with first responders at the ready on the runway. You couldn't understand why - all you did was hit some turbulence.

You and the other passengers exited the plane straight onto the runway, the crowd clamoring in confusion.

A deputy approached the crowd, drawing you all silent.

"What is going on?!" A female passenger shouts.

The deputy puts his thumbs through the shoulder loops of his vest and sighs. "The problem is, your flight departed Orlando, Florida, on April 4, 2018," there was a pause. "Today is June, 18th, 2023. You've all been missing and presumed dead for the last 5 years."

-

After 2 days of being interrogated and held captive at the airport, they finally allowed you all free. You still couldn't wrap your head around this, to you it only felt like a 3-hour flight.

You scanned your eyes over unfamiliar faces as they reunited with their families, hoping you'd see Jenna. But she never came.

You didn't question it, who knows if she was even in New York anymore. With your small suitcase in hand, you exited the airport and waved over a taxi, giving the driver the last apartment address you remembered Jenna having.

-

You stood at her door for 10 minutes before you had the guts to knock. You raised your hand shakily and sent three quiet knocks echoing through the hallway.

You fidgeted for a few minutes, waiting for any signs of life. Just as you were turning away, the lock clicked. You looked over your shoulder as the door creaked open slightly.

Jenna stood small in the door, looking up at you with widened, mascara-stained, eyes. Her hair was still in a short bob with bangs. The oversized sweatshirt she was wearing devoured her small body whole. She looked more aged but beautiful than ever.

"Jenna," you turned yourself fully around, a smile started to grow on your lips but quickly faded as she took a step back when you approached her.

"Is... Is it really you?" Jenna sniffled, opening the door more to allow you to see her, she examined you with just her eyes. "You look..." she paused, "the exact same from when you left... How?"

You shrugged your shoulders. "I'm wondering the same thing," you whispered quietly. All you wanted to do was wrap her in your arms and never let go.

She reached out her hand, letting her fingertips graze over your arm, almost as if she were making sure you were real. Her touch sent shivers through your spine.

You half smiled at her, then looked down at her hand where you noticed a diamond ring on her finger.

Your smile quickly faded again, your heart sunk to your stomach and you felt yourself turn pale.

Jenna noticed your reaction, pulling her hand away and putting it behind her back. "Y/n, you... You have to understand."

Tears were already streaming down your face at this point, you just stared at her, not being able to get any words out. You grabbed your bag and went to walk away, Jenna quickly reached for your wrist and pulled you back.

"Wait!" She shouted desperately. "Please, please... Don't leave," her voice softening.

"Who is she?" You tried to speak calmly, but your tone of voice showed how heartbroken you actually were.

"Y/n, you have to understand," a small sob escaped her lips. "I grieved you for five years, I thought you were gone. I felt so alone... I-"

"Who, Jenna?" You bit down on your lip to suppress any cries from breaking through. You failed miserably.

Jenna tightened her grip on your wrist and then looked down at her feet. "... Emma."

You were overwhelmed by the anger and sadness taking over you. "Emma? My best fucking friend, Jenna?"

"We had no one, y/n. I.. I waited three years until even trying to date. If... If I had known you were still out there, I wouldn't-"

"Enough," you demanded calmly.

"Please understand, you were gone for five years-"

"Enough!" You shouted more angrily, using your free hand to slap the wall next to you, instantly regretting your decision.

Jenna looked up at you with widened, sad eyes, yet she kept her hand wrapped around your wrist.

"I'm sorry," you whispered. "I'm sorry. I have to go." Shaking your hand free of Jenna's grip, you turned yourself around and made your way down the empty hallway.

Tears free-flowed down your cheeks as you made your exit. In what felt like a few hours for you, she moved on and started a whole new life. There wasn't anything you could do, except attempt to adjust to this new way of life.

a/n: oh heyyyy, long time no see. my writer's block is BAD, but i have been watching the show "manifest" on netflix and loosely based the imagine off of it. send some suggestions my way if u have any <3