vigilance pt. 2 - mabel

vigilance pt.2 - mabel

-

Mabel's eyes shoot open when she hears your heart picking up speed, indicating that you are still awake. She wasn't sure what to do so she pretended to be oblivious.

The atmosphere around you was still and silent, the only noise you and most likely Mabel could hear, was the thumping of your heart.

You moved your arm, wrapping around her torso resulting in Mabel practically jumping out of her skin.

"Relax," you whispered.

She quickly calmed and rested her head back down. "S-Sorry, I thought you were asleep."

You sighed quietly. The few minutes before this had you thinking of the whole drug deal gone wrong situation. You decided to break the silence. "Now Mabel, don't lie to me."

She furrowed her eyebrows confused. "I really did think you were asleep until-"

"Not that," you cut off.

You slipped a finger under her chin that still rested on you. Tilting her face up towards you, your eyes locked.

"Mabel," you spoke, a sharpness lacing your words. You looked down into her darkened eyes. "Who did this to you?" You skimmed your hand gently over her spreading bruise once more. You studied her facial expressions which turned from confused to worried.

"I-I told you that-" She looked away as she spoke.

Your stare hardened when she tried lying again. You tightened your grip slightly around her torso in a protective manner.

"I know when you're lying, Mabel. Look at me when you speak."

You saying her name so seriously sent electricity through her body. She felt her walls coming down as her eyes welled with tears and she tried to blink them away.

"As happy as I am you came here, Mabel. I know I wouldn't have been the first one you'd go to if this were some "random" person who did this to you."

Her bottom lip quivering, she stayed silent because she knew if she opened her mouth she would start crying, but you continued to confirm the truth. At this point, you knew she wasn't going to say the words herself so you did it for her.

"You would've gone to Skeemo, right?" You waited for the response that Mabel wasn't going to give you. Her silence was enough indication that you were on the right track. "But you didn't go to Skeemo. Because he did this to you, didn't he?"

Mabel covered her mouth to stop the cry from escaping. She turned and tucked her face into the crook under your shoulder. Her warm tears wet your arm and you just held her tighter.

Rage was pulsing through your veins as you comforted her. She cried into you while you rubbed your hand soothingly up and down her back.

"You don't have to worry anymore," you assured. "I promise."

That was a promise that you intended to keep. It was also one you intended to act upon tonight.

You allowed Mabel to relax in your arms and within the hour her quiet snores filled the room indicating that she was asleep.

Stealthily, you slithered yourself from under her, replacing your chest with a pillow. Standing on the side of the bed, you made sure Mabel was tucked in. You leaned down and placed a gentle kiss on the crown of her head.

You snuck over to the door, peering back at Mabel peacefully sleeping. You let out a silent breath before leaving the apartment, locking the door behind you.

The promise you intend on keeping begins now.

-

You'd been gone all night but were able to make it back to the apartment by 7:30 am, you expected Mabel to still be soundly sleeping.

Your head was pounding as you unlocked the door to the apartment. You swung open the door to find Mabel pacing stressfully in your kitchen, she stopped in her tracks when she saw you.

"What the fuck, y/n?" She questioned. "I've been calling you worried sick, you can't just-" Finally, she realized your tousled hair and the gash on your cheek. The color disappeared from her face.

"...No," She approached you concerned. "What did you do?" She frowned and touched your cheek, examining it closer. "You're hurt."

"I'm fine," you spat.

Her eyes narrowed. "Don't give me that," she replied with the same attitude as you. She was angry - but part of her worried more.

You're now sat on the couch, having a deja vu of what happened last night as Mabel uses a damp washcloth to dab your wound.

Mabel was muttering snarky comments as she did so. "You should've never left" and "Have you learned nothing?" were just a snippet of what remarks she was saying.

Mabel examined your cheek once more before tossing the rag. "Now that you're all cleaned up, are you gonna tell me why the fuck you'd leave like that? And where did you go?" The small girl folded her arms over her chest. She looked cute when she was mad.

Your lips curled into a smirk which made her more mad waiting for your response. Instead of explaining, you decided to let her see for herself.

You slipped the heavy backpack that sat on your shoulders and handed it to her. Her arms dipped under the weight of the bag.

"What is this?"

"Why don't you stop wasting time and just open it, Bel."

She looked at you for a moment to acknowledge the nickname you just called her by. She set the bag on the floor and unzipped it. Inside lived stacks of cash tied together with rubber bands.

Her eyes widened when she realized it was the $100k she lost to Skeemo the night prior.

"H-How?"

"A magician never reveals their secret," you joked sarcastically.

Mabel smiled ear to ear. She jumped up into your lap, cupped your face, and smashed her lips into yours. A little caught off guard, you tensed but quickly relaxed under her touch and kissed her back for a few seconds. Both of you left with a smile on your face.

"What was that for?" You asked.

"Just something I've wanted to do for a while," she shrugged.

You laughed quietly, your cheeks flushed pink.

"Can you promise me something, Bel?"

"What is it?"

"No more of this," you implied at the drug deals. "I can't see you like that again." You'll never forget how seeing her like that broke a piece of you.

She nodded like it was the easiest decision in her life. "Promise." She pressed her lips into yours once more to seal the deal.

-end

a/n: yuhyuh. i'm sick with covid rn so this might not be my best work but i know y'all wanted a part 2. ily all so much