vigilance - mabel

vigilance - mabel

*tw: very minor mention of drugs*

-

Mabel paced in the warehouse in front of the small group of you. "So I'll be the one to pick up the heroin and wait for Pete's text on where to meet up." Her Doc Marten boots echo through the warehouse as she continues pacing, waving her hands around as she speaks. "I'll give him the supply and he'll give me the $100,000."

Everyone in the group was nodding in agreement at the plan except for you.

"You can't be fucking serious, Mabel," you rolled your eyes. "Stop having this hero complex that you can do this alone. You can't go by yourself and still expect to be vigilant. I'm going with you."

Mabel stopped in her tracks and glared at you before snickering. "Last time I checked, y/n, this is your first drug deal and not mine."

You clenched your jaw. Mabel knew how to crawl right under your skin. She could say the same for you.

"Listen, I'm just saying it's dangerous and-"

"Yeah, and I'm just saying. This is the plan. Do you want the fucking money or not, y/n?" She shoved her hands into her ripped jean shorts pockets, tapping her foot on the cement floor.

You looked at the rest of the group, who uselessly shrugged their shoulders.

"Exactly," Mabel said in response to the silence from you.

"Don't come crying to me when you get mugged," you adjusted yourself in the metal chair.

Mabel huffed. "You'd be the last person I would go to, trust me."

-

The following night, you're left sitting on your couch anxiously checking your phone for the update that everything went smoothly.

It's 30 minutes past schedule, she should have the cash by now.

You rubbed your fingers over your forehead stressfully. "You better not have cut me out of the deal, Mabel," you muttered quietly to yourself.

Another half hour passes and you find yourself drifting into slumber. A loud two knocks that basically rattled your whole apartment jolted you awake.

Instantly your heart was pounding out of your chest, you checked your phone to find no new notifications from Mabel.

"Fuck," you whispered. Seeing that there was no text, something obviously went wrong. You knew whoever was at the door meant trouble. It couldn't be Mabel, she wouldn't be caught dead at your apartment... Right?

You got up from the couch and snuck over to the door quietly, you looked through the peephole, surprised to see Mabel's small figure facing away from the door.

You let out a sigh of relief and annoyance. Mabel knew what the plan was, she was the one who made it for fucks sake. Of course she'd be the one to not follow through.

The lock clicked open and you swung open the door, leaning on the door frame. "Mabel, you didn't follow the plan, you were supposed to-"

Mabel held herself, still facing away from you, one of her hands covering her face. She went to speak but all that came out was sobs.

Instantly your demeanor changed. Without second thought, you put your hand on one of her shoulders and ushered her towards your apartment. "Get inside."

Mabel turned around quickly. Still hiding her face, she stepped quickly into your apartment. You closed the door and clicked the lock back into place.

"I'm sorry.. I didn't know where else to go..." She sniffled.