birthday - j.o

birthday - j.o

-

You've checked your phone probably 10 times within the last 5 minutes, just hoping to see a text from her.

She was busy, you understand that she didn't text you "happy birthday" right away. She couldn't have forgotten, right?

It's 8:00 pm and you are now clocking out of work. It's been radio silence from Jenna today, she must have just had a really long day. At least you hoped that's what was going on.

You shot her a text before putting your car in drive and heading home to the apartment you two shared.

"On my way home. <3"

You sighed a deep breath, put your phone into the cup holder, and drove off.

-

Using the keycard, you buzzed yourself into the apartment building and headed to the elevator, where you then used your key again to grant access to the penthouse.

You leaned against the elevator wall, feeling somewhat defeated after the long work day, and Jenna not texting you at all.

The elevator dinged, alerting you were on your floor. The doors silently slid open, and the apartment was pitch black. Jenna always waits up for you on the couch, but not tonight.

You stepped into your apartment, checking your phone once more but you were met with the "No New Notifications." alert.

Another sigh withdrew from your chest as you went towards the kitchen. You blindly swept your hand over the wall to find the light switch, a small click coming from the switch as you turned on the lights.

Once your eyes adjust you see Jenna. She's standing next to the counter, celebration decorations all around the kitchen. With a wide grin bearing on her face, she took a step towards you. Her hair is tied back into a messy bun, she was wearing an apron, then finally, you noticed the round cake she held in her hands.

"Happy birthday!" She said, excitedly, holding the birthday cake out closer towards you.

Your smile quickly matched Jenna's. You looked down at the cake, quickly noticing the hand-piped icing. The best part was seeing "Happy Birthday, y/n" iced in Jenna's messy handwriting, resulting in a small giggle escaping your lips.

"Writing with frosting is harder than you think," she playfully defends herself, as if she knew what you were thinking.

"It's perfect," you reassure her.

You take the cake from her hands, gently sliding it onto the counter next to both of you, and you wrap her in a tight hug.

"Thank you, baby," you muffle into the side of her head, planting a gentle kiss on it.

You pull away from her and notice the small blotches of flour she has in her hair, face, and apron; you fell more and more in love with her in this second.

"Are you sure you like it? I spent all day worrying and-"

"I love it, Jens," you reiterate.

She let out a relieved sigh and nodded once, a proud smile on her face.

"Just wait 'til you see what I got you for presents!"

"Oh, you didn't have-" you started, but before you knew it, she was already happily skipping to the other side of the apartment to give them to you.

You leaned on the side of the counter, watching her excitingly gather your gifts. You quickly realized how lucky you were.

Best birthday ever.

-end

a/n: hi everyone! i'm going away on vacation for a few days but i'll be back soon! i have a few ideas lined up :)