again - j.o

again - j.o

-

"Please, mommy! Just one more," your five year old daughter, Eleanor pleaded. It was Halloween night and she was dressed as her favorite character, Wednesday Addams. The girl carried her pumpkin shaped basket, filled with tons of candy.

It was hard to say no. After the separation from your boyfriend, who is Eleanor's father, you've dedicated your life to making her happy. You'd do whatever it takes.

You moved back to your hometown for some familiarity through the uncertainty of the breakup. It's seemed to help a lot.

"Just one more house, Ellie." You said with a smile. "It's getting late, we need to get ready for bed soon, okay?"

"Okay!" Ellie responded with a smile. Although she was dressed as the "emotionless" Wednesday Addams, she skipped down the sidewalk happily ahead of you towards the next house. Her braided her bouncing on her shoulders with every skip.

Finally, you caught up to Ellie who was already getting candy placed into her bucket. She turned around to face you and her smile was brighter than ever. "Look, Mommy! It's the real Wednesday Addams!"

You giggled at her excitement. "Oh wow, Ellie, really?" You replied with excitement for her. You looked up at the doorway, expecting to see someone else dressed in a Wednesday costume.

Yet you were faced with Jenna Ortega, your first love in high school, and of course the "Wednesday Addams."

The smile you couldn't get out of your head was in front of you again. Just as bright. Just as beautiful.

Your eyes widened for a moment as your heart dropped but you kept the smile on your face. "Jenna, hey."

She locked eyes with you, expecting you to be a fan. Her face of realization quickly showed. "Oh my god, y/n?" She stepped out onto the steps and pulled you into a hug like no time has passed.

The comforting, yet delicate, smell of vanilla flooded your nostrils as she hugged you. It feels like you were teleported back to your senior year of high school.

You two held onto each other like this is something you've both been needing. Neither of you wanted to be the first to let go.

"Wednesday!" Ellie shouted, making you two break the hug but Jenna kept a hand around your waist.

"Yes?" She giggled.

"When I watched Wednesday, my mom kept telling me you looked pretty! That's why I chose to be you for Halloween." Ellie was looking up at Jenna with big eyes, then ran to Jenna and hugged her leg.

You felt your face heat up and chuckled. "Oh kids, they'll say anything."

Jenna tried to hide her smile growing. "And you look so pretty, too! Just like your mom." She still had her arm on your waist and gave it a squeeze before pulling it from behind you.

Jenna looked up at you and back inside. "Did you want to come in? I know it's getting late. So if you want, we can always catch up lat-"

Before you could answer, Ellie was already skipping inside the house, giggling excitingly as she did so.

-

You stood in Jenna's kitchen, both of you leaning on her island counter-top as you two drank a glass of wine. She briefly asked about your ex, which was a short conversation once you explained it. Things were better without him. Ellie was sorting through her large pile of candy, which you advised her to not eat any until you check it.

Jenna was an actress when you two dated - but now she was extremely well known. She told the stories of how she secured the role of "Wednesday", her travels, and all of the Hollywood tea.

She knew you wouldn't tell anyone that Kylie Jenner got so shit-faced drunk at the Met Gala last year that she fell into the toilet.

The two of you were laughing for what felt like hours on end. It was either the wine causing it or that the chemistry between you hasn't changed a bit. Maybe a mix of both.

The laughter died down and you both let out a satisfied sigh. The two glasses of wine you drank had you both at the perfect buzz.

You glanced over at Ellie from the kitchen and saw her sleeping soundly on the couch, her pile of candy spread out on the carpet.

"She's right at home," Jenna said, while resting her head on your shoulder, involuntarily giving you butterflies.

You smiled and nodded, glancing admiringly at your daughter. "She usually doesn't settle down anywhere until we get her home."

"I guess you'll just have to stay here." Jenna said half jokingly.

You quietly laughed in response.

"I missed you, y/n," Jenna replied, her cheeks pink from the alcohol that was coursing through her veins. "Seriously - I couldn't even explain the feeling I had when I saw you. Just- I don't know. I'm buzzed and need to shut up." She chuckled while standing back up straight and putting the cork back into the wine bottle, fumbling a bit as she did so.

"I know what you mean," you say. "I felt it too. It's really unexplainable... but it feels like we never broke up- or,- like..." you sighed, flustered with your words.

"I wish we never broke up." Jenna announced without hesitation. When she would drink before, the truth always came out.

You let out a quiet sigh and nodded. "Me to-"

Before you could finish, Jenna was standing on her tip-toes, her hand placed behind your neck, and her lips were locked onto yours. It didn't last long but it made both of you feel electricity pulsing through your veins.

"S-Sorry," she said, taking a step back and no longer standing on her tip toes. "I wanted to do that since I saw you on my doorstep."

You couldn't be happier that she did. "I missed that."

You saw relief flood over her face as her jaw tone loosened and her worried eyebrows relaxed.

"Listen, I know you went through the break-up... and you have sweet Ellie now, but- I'd love to possibly try again-" she interrupted herself. "If only you wanted to." She paused. "Um - whenever you were ready of course." She sighed silently. "If you wanted." She wiped her eyebrow stressfully, fearing she said too much.

The smile on your face was evident that it was something you wanted as well. "You've never left my mind," you admitted. "I'd really love to see where this possibly takes us. And Ellie already loves you. I think it would be hard for me to not come around."

Jenna nodded with a smile. "I love her already, too."

-end