CHAPTER 4 - NO!

The shoot and watching over Brave kept me extremely busy for the subsequent two weeks. Currently, he has his eyes open and is making baby movements. The doctor assured me that he would be alright during the last check-up, and he seemed to be in good health. For the first couple of days after that day, I attempted to look for the person who had helped me, but I was unsuccessful. Maybe he was a local and didn't work with our team. Considering how many people came to watch the shooting, it was plausible. He quickly faded from my memory, and other, more urgent issues took over.

"I need the area to be cleared in fifteen minutes and tell the art team to recheck the continuation."

I semi-whispered to my assistant, and he gave me a thumbs up before amusingly shaking his head at Nathaniel, who was napping next to me. He appears to have been slacking off a lot recently, handing me all the work. He only gives me general instructions, leaving the rest for me to deal with. I was apprehensive at first, but now I am kind of getting used to it.

When I sensed movement beside me, I knew the sleeping beauty had woken up. I scowled at him, but the old man returned my stare with a toothy smile.

"How's it goin', kid?"

I rolled my eyes, well aware that he was taunting me.

"Are you serious, Nathaniel? I recommend you go back to sleep without bothering me."

He chuckled pleasantly and sipped his mint lemonade before throwing me a wink.

"This is the first time I felt so relaxed during a shoot. I propose that we make movies together in the future. You're an excellent partner."

I scoffed and playfully poked him in the arm.

"I'd rather not."

Though he didn't say it, I sensed Nathaniel was training me to be independent. He carefully examined all of my ideas and discreetly assisted me in improving them. He wanted me to succeed in my career, and I wasn't going to whine about it.

Nathaniel summoned everyone to the conference room once the shoot was done for the day.

"The last two weeks have been stressful, and I appreciate everyone's efforts. There will be no shooting for the next three days, so you can relax."

There was a mixture of cheers and claps, with everyone welcoming the director's decision wholeheartedly.

I, too, for once, was happy. Lorraine and I took Brave out, and we spent the evening shopping and eating local food. It felt nice to finally get some time to myself.

.....................

"Shit, are you all right? Why didn't you call me right away? How long will you be in the hospital?"

I paused typing and exited my room, only to find Lorraine looking at her phone, her right palm covering her lips, and tears flowing down her cheeks. I seldom intervene in her personal problems, but when I heard the word hospital, I couldn't help myself.

"What is it?"

I inquired, but she was too overcome with emotion to respond. Instead, she passed me the phone, and I saw Matt lying in a hospital bed, one arm in a cast, and gauze wrapped around his forehead. He gave me a shy wave with an embarrassed smile on his face.

"Hello, River. How are you?"

Matt was about the same age as Lorraine, but he was much more mature. His red hair made him stand out in a crowd, and what I liked best about him was that he was a wonderful boyfriend who treated Lorraine as if she were a child. Despite the fact that our contact was sparse, I loved the guy. So I allowed myself to be concerned about him.