CHAPTER 10 - MAKING A MOVE

"FROM THE TOP!"

I shouted for the nth time today, and a string of groans arose. We were struggling with an intense fight scene, and there was full camera coverage; the lighting was excellent, yet something was amiss. I was unsatisfied with the shot, regardless of my efforts to figure out what was wrong.

The actors have returned to their positions, and the make-up artists have hurried to their respective positions, retouching their faces and everything. I groaned and studied the script again as the production staff checked for continuity. The morning's incident was long forgotten, and I didn't get enough time to think about anything other than work.

"Think about how you want it exactly. Don't look at the surroundings now. Close your eyes and just imagine."

Nathaniel was on the phone, playing Candy Crush, and he couldn't care less. He said nothing while I continued to reshoot the sequence, and now that he'd suggested it, I sat down and pictured myself writing the story on the computer.

I remained in that posture for over five minutes, envisioning myself at the moment and comparing my expectations with those of the audience at the movie theater. I opened my eyes and grinned at Nathaniel, who was still engrossed in his game.

"Thank you, old man."

I said, and he simply laughed and stuck out his tongue playfully. More than a great director, he was a great teacher.

"Kim, I want you to walk in an arc before the stuntmen appear. Varun, do you think we can do a Banana?"

Varun, our cameraman, was on the crane and gave me a thumbs up while smiling broadly.

"Keep the boom close to Aiden and do not shift it."

"Eugene, double-check the continuity script and tell me where the sun was."

"Aye aye," he responded, and he hurried to his crew members.

"And Varun, at the end, the crane shot should be taken from the highest angle, dropping to the lowest, not the other way around. And I guess we will use the Dollies."

Varun was enthusiastic about the new adjustments, and everyone scurried around, following the instructions.

"Scene seven fight, take four. Mark!"

The scene began to take shape as the second AC shouted before hitting the clapper board. Nathaniel was hovering next to me while I gazed at the small monitor. The acting was all on point, and I held my breath while the sequence played out.

"CUT!"

I yelled again, and this time I was beaming. I felt a pat on the back and turned to see Nathaniel still staring at the screen with a proud expression on his face.

"That was fantastic, kiddo."

The performers and crew members gathered around the monitors as the scene unfolded on the screen. Despite the fact that just modest alterations were made, the angles looked so much better that I couldn't believe I had accomplished it.

"That's an art, River. It's amazing. You made me look like an Alpha male."

Aiden, our male lead, remarked and gave me a high five. Varun, too, said that he loved it, while I kept giggling like a fool. I did it!

............

"Thank you so much, Nathaniel."

I told him once it was time for the wrap-up in the afternoon, and he ruffled my hair.

"You did it all by yourself, child. I knew you had the potential the moment I saw your script."

I wasn't certain if I deserved his praise or if I was just incredibly lucky today, but I wasn't going to overthink it and ruin my happiness.