CHAPTER 7 - APRIL

I was almost asleep when I heard someone knock on the door and struggled to get up from the couch. The period pain was usually horrible on the first two days, especially on the night of the first day. I switched off the television, which was playing a random movie in the background, and went to answer the door.

"I apologize for the delay. There was a lot of traffic."

I nodded, hardly having the strength to say much. It was nine o'clock at night, and almost everyone had retired inside. Eugene's face was lit by the fluorescent lamp outside my door, and I found myself gazing into his brown orbs. He was ordinary-looking, but the lighting and my hormones compelled me to believe he was handsome, even gorgeous.

"You don't look good."

I merely shrugged my shoulders as he stated the obvious. I must be looking like a walking corpse right now, and I resisted the urge to tame my haystack of hair. I have never been concerned with my appearance before, so why should I now?

The plastic cover was handed to me, and as I grabbed it from him, the unexpected weight of it made my hand sag. In my curiosity, I glanced inside the bag and discovered three boxes of sanitary pads, candies, two slices of chocolate cake, two bottles of apple juice, and some other snacks.

"You also brought me Carla's stuff?"

I asked, my stomach grumbling upon seeing the food. I was starving.

He shook his head, his eyes dancing in amusement. Why? Doesn't his stomach growl when he is hungry? Nevertheless, I was a little embarrassed.

"No. I've got it for you. Carla texted me to buy you some refreshments as well, but I did not know what to get."

For a brief second, I assumed he had purchased it on his own will and was ecstatic at the possibility; however, when I realized that it had been instructed by Carla, I became agitated. What was the matter with me? I was just on my period and not crazy to be experiencing these strange thoughts.

"Well, thank you."

I was going to close the door when he raised his hand and gripped the iron lock, causing me to come to a halt. I raised my eyebrows in question, and he seemed embarrassed as he slid his right hand into his breast pocket and pulled out a green strip of tablets.

"Umm... I asked the pharmacist for pain relievers for... uhh... menstruation, and he gave me this."

He held the object up to me, and I stared at him, fascinated by his timidity.

"Did Carla ask you to buy this, too?"

Eugene lowered his head and nervously bit his lips. He was cute.

"No. Actually... Never mind. I am sorry. I shouldn't have bought it without asking you first."

My hands sprang out in an instant, and I snatched the strip of pills from his grasp, astounded by my own reflexes.

"Thank you. I really appreciate it."

I noticed him sigh in relief while his eyes brightened.

"Good night then. Take some rest."

He added with a grin, and I returned his gesture. I was suffering some major mood swings today.

"Sleep well."

I responded and watched him walk away. Suddenly, something snapped in me as he crossed the front gate.

"Eugene."

It was the first time I said his name aloud, and the letters rolled off my lips like nectar. He was taken aback by my unexpected call and turned to gaze at me in surprise.