CHAPTER 9 - CUPID

"Did you complete this all by yourself?"

I inquired, randomly flicking through the pages and yawning. John looked pale, with black bags under his eyes, implying his lack of sleep. Well, what can I say other than 'serves him right'. All of this would not have happened if he had done his job correctly in the first place. I was still upset with him, but not as much as I had been the day before. My period pain was gone, save for the annoyance of wearing a pad and sitting on the hard wooden chair.

"Absolutely, ma'am. I did everything."

I nodded in approval and returned the printout to him.

"Give it to your VD and tell her to continue with it."

John visibly sighed in relief and stammered out a thank-you before literally running in the opposite direction from me. The sun was just breaking out as I waited with Carla for everyone to finish preparing for the day's filming at the bridge. It was an early morning shoot, and I was already feeling tired.

"How do you look so flawless at this time of the morning?"

I asked Carla as I stretched my spine and re-adjusted my croissant-shaped posture. The model-like woman next to me was typing on her phone and grinning from ear to ear, most probably with her boyfriend.

She glanced at me briefly with a goofy smile and shrugged her shoulders.

"It's my job, sweetheart."

I leaned in a bit closer, appreciating her impeccable makeup. She looked gorgeous.

"But you have no scenes today. It's just Kim, Aiden, and the stunt crew. What are you even doing here?"

I was perplexed as to why she was working at a time when she could simply relax. If I had a chance, I would have spent the day curled up under my warm comforter binge-watching a series or two.

Carla gave me a mischievous wink and ruffled my already unkempt hair as if she were my grandmother.

"If I stay at home, I will be extremely restless. I will just tag along with you, bestie."

She stated it with such sincerity that I nearly thought we were best friends. Of course, Carla was a friend, but that was all. Once this shoot is over, we will go our separate ways and won't even bother to share good morning images on WhatsApp. Despite my thoughts, I refrained from telling her anything since I didn't want to spoil her optimism.

"What brings you here today?"

When I heard Eugene's voice, my heart jumped a beat, and I swiftly turned around to face him. He was dressed in loose-fitting khaki pants and a white pullover. His hair was tousled as always, as if his fingers had gone through it a thousand times already. He looked like he didn't get much rest last night, yet his smile overshadowed his weariness. I glanced at Clara to check if she found him attractive as well, but she was scowling at him without so much as batting an eye.

"What's up with everyone and me coming here today? Can't someone like me be committed to their profession?"

There was not the slightest flirtatious gesture made as she chatted animatedly with him. Was I the only person who thought he was so appealing? That wasn't the case since I have already seen him being flooded by women the majority of the time. But now I am unsure if they approached him because of his appearance or to make him help with their work. After all, he has proven himself to be a pushover.

"Chill, woman. I was just asking."

Upon saying that, he shifted his legs to focus on me, catching me staring at him. However, I didn't move my gaze, and it seems like he didn't mind.