CHAPTER 34 - A DATE

Eugene arrived at my cottage promptly at nine in the morning, and I had already prepared everything in advance. I had carefully packed our essentials into the car, including lunch, ensuring that we were fully prepared for the rest of the day. Earlier, at six o'clock, I had awakened from my sleep, my excitement preventing me from resting any further. Meanwhile, Lorraine was still peacefully asleep, as she had planned to enjoy a leisurely outdoor outing with Brenda later in the morning, leaving around eleven or even later. To ensure Lorraine didn't miss out on breakfast, I had prepared a portion for her, which I instantly stored in the oven for her to reheat at her convenience.

When Eugene inquired about our destination, I simply informed him that I desired a break and that we were just roaming around the city. However, I purposely refrained from disclosing my specific location to him. Throughout our journey, I discreetly glanced at the GPS on my phone, ensuring that he remained unaware of the directions being relayed through my earphones.

"We have been on the road for close to thirty minutes. Are you kidnapping me, Miss River Alecia Landon?"

I loved it when he used my full name, and it was an instant turn-on for me. Upon stealing a quick glance at him, I noticed that his physical demeanor contradicted his accusatory tone, as he appeared relaxed, leaning back in his seat and subtly swaying his head in rhythm with the music playing in the background. His relaxed posture and rhythmic movements conveyed a sense of ease and calmness.

"Yeah, if you don't want to get tortured, it would be advisable for you to escape immediately."

I stated pretty seriously as we sat in traffic at a red signal. He chuckled and glanced at me, a mischievous spark in his eyes.

"Naah, it seems that I have a peculiar kink when it comes to kidnappers."

He replied, wiggling his eyebrows, and his playful actions brought a big smile to my face. I burst out laughing, unable to resist his infectious sense of humor. His lightheartedness instantly lifted my spirits, reminding me why I enjoyed spending time with him.

As we continued our conversation, anticipation grew within me as I spotted the signboard for Lumphini Park. It was the perfect escape from the bustling city of Bangkok, offering a serene sanctuary in the midst of chaos. With limited time on our hands, I had chosen this expansive park as our place, hoping it would provide us with a temporary breathing space from reality.

As I pulled into the parking lot outside the park, Eugene was completely absorbed in his phone, tapping away with lightning speed. Finally tearing his eyes away from the screen, he glanced around in confusion. With a scrunched nose and a raised eyebrow, he turned to me, his expression a perfect blend of surprise and curiosity.

"Location hunting?"

He asked once he took in the arch and realized where we were. Now, I was speechless. I didn't want to tell him it was a date, as that sounded cheesy. I didn't want to lie to him and tell him that it was location hunting too, since I didn't want him to think that this outing was a part of our park. So, I just shrugged.

"I kind of wanted a change. This park sounded like a good idea. Fresh air, can walk around a little, good climate..."

I was searching my vocabulary for the next right word, but I stopped when I saw him smirking. His playful grin told me that he had seen right through my attempt at playing it cool. It was clear that he knew this was more than just a casual outing, and I couldn't help but blush at the thought of him catching on to my intentions. I couldn't deny the excitement that filled my heart, even if I tried to downplay it with words.

"What?"

I asked, suddenly not able to look into his eyes, but still I didn't give up.

"Don't tell me you have packed home-made food in the trunk."