CHAPTER 25 - PLAYING NURSE

"Do you need anything else?"

I inquired, walking around the room, inspecting. I replaced the bed linens and stored some additional clothing and towels in the wardrobe. They were all mine, but those will have to suffice for the time being. Eugene contacted his roommate and told him he was staying at a friend's house given that he didn't want to pass around the virus, and while his colleague argued that it was alright, Eugene insisted he didn't want to cause trouble. Finally, everyone agreed that staying away was the best option right now. He had also requested a couple of days off from his supervisor, which he readily granted after seeing how ill he was this morning.

"No, you've already done more than enough. I owe you a lot for this one."

Eugene stated, his words being broken by coughs and sneezes.

"Yeah, you owe me for your damn flu as well. If it hadn't been for my drunken arse."

I grumbled the last line, but because the room was quiet, we both heard it loud and clear.

"I made that choice willingly, River. Besides, if it's a fever that will keep you from pushing me away, I'd do it all over again."

The amount of earnestness in those words was overwhelming for my non-committal mind to digest. I muttered something about preparing dinner and literally raced out of the room. Eugene obviously meant it as a friend, but it was too much for my heart, which carried an entirely different feeling for him, one I have yet to put a name to.

I was fidgeting around the kitchen while I poured steaming hot water into the thermal container. Despite my best efforts, being so near Eugene provoked me to have some very wild thoughts. Perhaps it would be safer if he locked the door from inside.

I shook my head in disbelief, mortified that I was even having such perverted ideas. It's time I stopped reading all those smutty novels. For the love of Christ, I wasn't an animal, but I was sure acting like one. I removed the pan from the burner and set the warm porridge in a serving bowl. I tamed my hair a little before arranging everything on a platter and heading towards the room he was in.

The door was half open, and the only light coming through was from the bed lamp. I knocked twice before entering and found Eugene seated on the bed, his upper half reclining on the head rest. He was on a call, and upon seeing me, he straightened and placed his index finger on his lips, signaling for me not to say anything. I nodded at him, smiling, and walked over to the right side. The familiarity of having him in my cottage was scaring the shit out of me and I was having an internal panic attack while he was oblivious to it, and continued talking on his phone.

"Yes, mom. I am not a child."

I set the serving tray down on the dressing table and flicked on the lights.

"How is your knee? You know, you should probably take care of yourself before giving me lectures. You were rearranging the furniture again, weren't you?"

I grinned as I fumbled with the tablets, turning my back to him. I was witnessing another face of Eugene, something that I found appealing. It elevated him above the status of production assistant. It made him a son, someone who has a family, and a different human being. It was weird, yet fascinating.

"Don't lie to me, Mom. Sofia sent me the pictures."

He talked to his mother with tenderness and genuine affection. He was quite close to his mother, that much was certain. Perhaps that's why women like him. Any man who values his mother knows how to respect other women. And, more than anything else, respect is what a woman seeks after reaching a certain age.

I turned around and indicated for him to take the meal, then began to walk away when he gestured for me not to.

"Mom, my friend is calling me for dinner. I will FaceTime you tomorrow, alright?"