CHAPTER 18 - PAPER RINGS

I had to constantly remind my stubborn heart that today's outing didn't count as a date, and yet I found myself staring at my wardrobe with distaste. There didn't seem to be a single outfit that I thought was appropriate for this grocery run. Everything was either too baggy or excessively boyish, and the claws of annoyance began gripping my brain. I slammed the wooden door shut, the banging sound reverberating through the walls, and I sank my body into the mattress. Eugene had asked me to get dressed by eight o'clock, and it was almost seven. I was contemplating calling him and canceling the plan when my phone started ringing. Lorraine's smiling face filled the screen, causing my agitation to dissipate momentarily. I slid the green icon with my thumb and enabled the speaker function.

"What is my personal favorite witch up to?"

Her chirpy voice boomed from the opposite side, and I inadvertently chuckled.

"Back to the city, had a meeting today, blah blah, blah. How is Matt doing?"

From the other end, there was an audible grunt and the sound of the bed squeaking.

"I am good, River. Thank you very much."

"Get well soon, young man. I need my assistant back."

I remarked playfully and heard him laugh sheepishly. There was another shuffle, and the phone was back with Lorraine.

"Actually, I called you to talk about it. I guess I can return by the beginning of next week. Matt's plaster is being removed in three days, and he should be able to resume his normal activities after that. He will be staying at his friend's for a while, so I don't have to worry about anything."

"No no. Take your time. There's no need to hurry. I was only joking. Also, why do you want to disturb your friend when you can just stay?"

I stated quickly, my eyes widening in alarm. If Lorraine returned, she would undoubtedly learn about Eugene, but I didn't want to introduce him to her yet, not when I still couldn't put a name to our relationship. Besides, Lor will know just how much of a pervert I am, and I am certain she will never let me live it down.

"No, it's already been over a month. You must have been working extra hours because of my absence, and I should not take advantage of your kindness."

"Kindness my ass. Please stay there for now and take care of that kid. You don't have to be so concerned about me. I am fiineee....."

In saying that, I wasn't exaggerating. Even if Lorraine came, she would be anxious, and I know how much Matt detests relying on his friends or anyone else, as a matter of fact.

"But..."

She strongly opposed it; nevertheless, I persisted.

"Lor, come on. You aren't a snob who makes false claims and takes leave. I understand that it is an emergency. You have no reason to be worried about me. I am doing great."

There was a little pause before she thanked me, to which I merely said, 'Get lost'. It made me feel awkward when she went all formal with me.

We chatted regarding the current filming situation and some of the activities I had scheduled for this month.

"That's all? Oh, my bag is safe with you, right?"

I hummed as I cast a glance at the silver-colored suitcase.

"I haven't touched it."

"There's nothing valuable in it. Just some dresses and make-up items."

I hummed once more before straightening my body up.

"You have dresses in there?"

I almost shrieked, and I heard Lor groan at my shrill sound.

"Yeah, why?"