CHAPTER 29 - UNINVITED GUESTS

So, picture this scene: there I stood, my delicate camisole clinging to me like a second skin, while Eugene found himself snug in 'my sweatpants'. Oh, the irony! Dresses strewn haphazardly littered the room, revealing the intensity of the moment. And there it was, the couch, now askew diagonally, causing the carpet beneath to fold in half from our passionate shenanigans. As if on cue, the once vibrant red light emanating from the TV transformed into a soft white glow, signaling the end of the previous movie, with an impressive array of films displayed on the screen.

"Hello."

With my voice reduced to nothing more than a timid squeak, I struggled to express my thoughts. April and Lorraine, both enveloped by a sense of curiosity, remained steadfastly stationed near the entrance, their unwavering gazes locked onto Eugene. Desperately, I sought to regain my composure and seize their interest. However, my brain was no longer functioning properly.

"He's the hot guy, isn't he?"

April inquired after what felt like eternity, and my hushed stillness spoke volumes, conveying the unspoken answer she demanded. As if a magical switch had been flicked within her, she elatedly propelled herself up and down, eagerly clapping in sheer excitement.

"I knew you liked my sister the moment I heard you asking if she was okay."

"What hot guy? When did you hear him?"

Lorraine asked, her brow slightly furrowed and confusion shimmering in her eyes. She gazed at me with a genuine, puzzled expression plastered across her face.

"April, stop it."

I let out a soft hiss, carefully concealing my unease so as not to startle poor Eugene any further. As I glanced at him, I couldn't help but notice the apprehension etched on his face, resembling a panicked hen trapped in a snare. It was clear that April's outburst only added fuel to the fire, leaving me with a gentle sigh of frustration and the pressing task of diffusing the tension that had settled over the room.

"Oh, come on, don't you dare interrupt me. Hello, future prospectus brother-in-law, I am April Rose Landon. And this is my sister."

With a sly twinkle in her eye, she playfully pointed her finger in my direction, her radiant smile reflecting the mischievous dare in her words. Ignoring any inhibitions, April strode confidently towards Eugene, her vibrant energy distinct in the air. As she reached him, she clasped his frail hands with a determined grip, shaking them vigorously. The sight of Eugene, still shirtless and vulnerable, provided the perfect reason for me to swiftly gather our scattered garments, nudging my sister aside in haste. Urgently, I returned his hoodie, or my hoodie. I just hoped they wouldn't recognize it.

"Hi."

Eugene murmured hesitantly after covering his physical nakedness. His face was as brightly colored as a ripe tomato, and I could totally connect to him. We got ourselves caught in a pretty promising circumstance, and even if it wasn't exactly what they expected, we were still somewhat accountable.

"So, I presume you guys are not dating. Ray would have told me if she did. So what are you?"

April's voice brimmed with unwavering assurance as she posed the question, her confidence seeping through every word she uttered. And I hated the fact that she was right. Of all people, she would be the first to learn about my love life—the intimate details I would reveal to no other soul.

"We are just... colleagues?"

With a hint of uncertainty clouding his eyes, Eugene directed his gaze towards me, seeking guidance and assistance. His words weren't simply a statement; they hung in the air like a hesitant question waiting to be answered. As his eyes pleaded for support, I recognized the weight of his doubt and understood the importance of my reply.