CHAPTER 26 - HOME, SWEET HOME

My alarm went off at eight a.m., and I was barely able to open my eyes. I found myself drained of energy. I contemplated skipping the entire morning, however; it was simply not practicable. I needed to be present today, considering it was the last day we had to shoot at the shopping mall. It appeared absurd even to ask Nathaniel. Maybe he would allow me to take the leave, but I wasn't that inconsiderate.

I got up groaning, but my attitude rapidly lightened after I spotted Eugene sleeping peacefully. I went ahead and checked his temperature, and even though he still had his fever, the reading was significantly lower than before.

I had to be at the location by 10; therefore, I had enough time to prepare his meals and get ready before leaving. While brushing my teeth, I warmed the leftover porridge from the previous day and toasted a few slices of bread with butter. I messaged Sara and informed her I might have to keep the car for today as well, and she readily agreed. She even offered to let me have it until the end of the shoot. I expressed my gratitude and then went to take a hot shower.

After munching on almost burned toast, I gulped down a Vitamin C supplement since I had no desire to fall sick. It would cause too much hassle if I got the flu before he recovered completely. Keeping an eye on the time, I finished getting dressed and entered his room at 9.20, raising the blinds in order to let in the early daylight.

Eugene continued to remain deep asleep, and I wasn't keen on awakening him, but he needed to take his medication on time.

"Eugene, wake up."

On hearing me, he stirred slightly before drifting back to sleep. He started snoring gently and looked completely at ease. I approached him and patted his shoulder twice before tugging his tousled locks away from his forehead.

"Eugene, get up. You need to take the meds."

I said it again, a little louder this time. He grunted and shifted before partially opening his eyes to look around.

"Huh?"

He inquired, and he looked baffled to see me on his bed. Hearing his morning weary voice mingled with the sore throat caused me to almost swoon. I am a sick pervert, God.

"Get up."

I stated, hurriedly rushing over to the vanity table to pick up the plate of food. I am not sure if I am capable of staring at him without my gaze deceiving me. After all, he was shirtless, and the sensation of his soft skin under my fingertips was still fresh. I heard the bed creak and strolled up to him with the meal after I was convinced I wouldn't have hungry eyes on me anymore.

"Where's my shirt?"

He wondered out loud, rubbing his chin, and I noticed that his bed hair looked adorable. Hilarious yet adorable. It resembled a bird's nest.

"I removed it to wipe your body. Besides, it was soaking with your sweat."

I anticipated him to be upset, possibly humiliated, but all he did was nod his head and drift off. Great, he still doesn't have his senses, which wasn't entirely a bad thing.

"Here, have this."

I handed him the porridge, which he took clumsily, but the metal spoon slid from his grasp onto the bowl, splattering the mushy contents across his abdomen and the blanket.

"Sorry."

He muttered and appeared to be close to falling unconscious again.

I removed the dish from his frail fingers and cleaned the food from the comforter and his body with a few Kleenex. I was careful not to make any sort of skin contact as I was already feeling fairly intimate with him on the bed, without a shirt, and us acting like an old couple. It was overwhelming, and contrary to my expectations of married life, I kind of liked it, which in turn started freaking me out.