CHAPTER 14 - A VIRGIN?

I hurried to the dressing area without giving any thought to whether or not someone had seen me. My mind was racing with questions about why he wanted to meet me. Was he going to ask me to give up tormenting and pursuing him? Or has he suddenly changed his mind and decided to sleep with me? The latter possibility seemed implausible; nevertheless, thinking about it made my heart beat faster.

The costume camp was spacious and set apart from the remaining tents since no caravans were permitted on the inside of the forest, and the dressing booth was the sole area where artists could change their costumes; hence, it was guaranteed maximum privacy. Only a few individuals lingered outside, as the majority had gone to have breakfast or just relax. The sun was still taking its sweet time, yet there was sufficient daylight to see the direction one was heading.

I proceeded to walk inside after nodding to one of the support staff members who was leaving the dark space at the same time. She didn't ask me any questions, and I didn't bother explaining my visit to her.

Within the tent, all the lights had been turned off, and I stumbled on a stool, hitting my knee on the steel object.

"Ouch!"

I massaged the sore leg and pulled out my phone before switching on the flashlight. I shone the light around and discovered the entire tent to be a disaster zone. There were garments all over the place, and the chairs were positioned at random. I couldn't even see what was beyond the rows of dressing tables arranged on either side. Overall, I was engulfed in darkness.

"Eugene. Are you here?"

I spoke into the darkness but received no response. Perhaps I came too early, and he hasn't arrived yet. I thought of finding the light switches first, but that's when I heard the sound of furniture scraping and was quick to shine the light in the spot I assumed the sound came from. It was empty.

"Eugene."

I called a little louder, but panicked as a huge palm covered my mouth and my eyes widened in surprise. Out of survival instinct, I slammed the person standing behind me with my forearm, and I heard the other guy growl in agony. His familiar scent drifted past my nostrils, and I gasped in recognition.

"I am so sorry. I thought it was someone else."

I apologized, pointing my flashlight at him, and found Eugene clutching the right side of his abdomen, his face distorted in pain.

"Turn it off. Someone could see us."

He muttered in between wheezes, and I instantly obeyed.

"Is that why you sneaked up on me?"

I queried, finding the situation rather funny. He didn't answer, although there was no requirement for him to. He wanted our meeting to be a secret, and he was worried that somebody might catch us. A genuine concern, if you ask me, and something I should have remembered as well.

"Do you need some ice?"

I asked again, knowing how painful it would be. I was an experienced martial artist, so the blow must have really hurt him.

"No, I am perfectly alright."

He replied, squirming, but I could still hear his heavy breathing. Even though I couldn't see him clearly, the thought that we were alone inside a tent left me keenly sensitive to his proximity. He was close to me, but not quite close enough.

"I am sorry for calling you all of a sudden."

I waved my hand, but then realized that he couldn't see me.

"It's okay. So what is it about?"

I didn't want to beat around the bush, and my curiosity was piqued when I noticed him hesitating before continuing.