CHAPTER 17 - TANGO

I shifted my eyes around the household for one last time, making sure that I had not forgotten something. I was going to miss the solitude and the ambiance this place offered, yet I was left with no option. Besides, no matter how much I convince myself, I can never avoid the city. It has slowly become a part of my life over the years.

I locked the front door, handed the keys to the man standing outside, and let him assist me in loading my baggage into the car. Most of the personnel had already departed since they were required to set things up before we arrived for the shoot. Eugene must also have left with them, and there were just a handful of us remaining.

I watched Clara stepping into her SUV from a distance, and she appeared to be on her phone. So I hopped inside without calling her, and switched on my iPod, not particularly excited for a long journey. My driver was a Thai guy, and we soon realized that we didn't share any similar languages, which I considered a blessing. The weather was really not helping with my already drained energy, so I rolled down my windshield a little to prevent getting sick later on. Farewell, chirping little birdies.

....................

We drove for three hours straight before getting caught up in traffic. There were vehicles and pedestrians all around, and I sighed in annoyance. Living in the city has often helped me feel less isolated, and while I occasionally yearn to get away from it, I also want to have the flashes of light casting through my bedroom window at night and the bustling atmosphere. However, this time I was bitter because I sensed I wouldn't be able to communicate with Eugene as we used to in the village. We will most probably be encircled by employees we know, and it will be practically impossible to interact with him or taunt him without having prying eyes on us.

My brain was already mulling over various alternatives to having more time with him, but I could not even settle on one since I didn't have a clue about our work schedule or lodging arrangement.

I must have fallen asleep in the meantime because, by the time I looked out of the window, I found the car parked in front of the resort. We were assigned separate cottages, which I appreciated considering they weren't just rooms with thin screens detaching me from the others.

Even though the privacy was less compared to the country cabin, it provided just enough. In fact, it really was comfortable, especially since there were brick walls separating the other buildings. Everything was readily accessible inside, and I could even cook if I wanted to. Lorraine may return at any time, and I didn't want to be thrown off guard. I could have permitted her to stay with the other assistants, as most actors and directors did, but that didn't sit well with me. I felt more at ease with her by my side.

I picked the farthest cottage again this time, and therefore only one side of my villa had access to other properties; the other fronts were all dead ends. Knowing that I wasn't flanked by people on all four corners made me feel safer.

As the land line on my bedside table rang, I slipped out of my jacket before climbing onto the mattress and picking up the receiver.

"Good day, Ms. Landon. You have a group meeting scheduled for four o'clock this afternoon in the conference hall. Would you like to get a reminder call from us, ma'am?"

I studied the time on the wall clock as the receptionist's cheerful voice unfolded from the other end. It was only eleven in the morning, and I was left with plenty of time to prepare myself before the meeting.

"No, I am perfectly alright. Thank you very much."

"Okay, Ms. Landon. Please feel free to contact us if you have any concerns. I hope you have a wonderful stay at our resort."

I responded with yet another 'thank you' and replaced the handset as the line went dead. I ended up taking a quick shower and eating the already-served brunch prior to setting an alarm for three thirty and retiring to a nap. With my spare time, I should probably get some rest.