CHAPTER 16 - RAMEN

By the time I reached my work area, I was seething with frustration and rage. I never imagined Eugene would have the audacity to pull such a stunt on me. My wrath was directed not at him for literally throwing me into the limelight but more for making me expect something. I envisioned so much and was too eager to do it with him, without even minding that my first time was going to be in a freaking cramped closet, and still he did this to me.

"Why do you look like you are about to murder someone?"

Kim came and settled beside me, a silk robe draping around his toned physique. The following scene was a gruesome act, and his outfit consisted solely of tattered shorts. Consequently, his body was on exhibit, and the gown did next to nothing to conceal it. However, Kim's torso didn't give me the same emotional responses that Eugene's less athletic body did. For heaven's sake, I had only seen the upper skin of his chest. I have had the privilege of working with a number of models and male actors and have seen an awful lot of masculine bodies during shoots, some of which didn't even have clothing on, and I have never been bothered like this before. To top it off, Eugene had a decent shirt on, which I badly wanted to rip off.

"Earth to River."

I raised my gaze from his gray silk robe to his inquisitive eyes as Kim snapped his fingers right in front of my face.

"Huh?"

"Wow, I have never seen you look so disoriented before. What's the matter with you?"

He inquired, his curiosity now laced with concern.

I shook my head, not wanting him to assume that something was wrong.

"Sleep problems. And may I know why you are here?"

I asked in hopes of getting his attention away from me. I was upset with myself as well as with Eugene, but I had to maintain my composure. The last thing I want is to cause more trouble for him. Wait, why was I thinking about that asshole again? He practically used me as bait.

"Carla and Aiden are engaged in a heated debate regarding female empowerment, and I don't intend on serving as a murder witness when the cops show up later."

I raised my eyebrows at his dramatization; nevertheless, I did understand his reasoning. Aiden believed that women were vulnerable and should not be overworked. Some girls might find it charming or gentlemanly, but Carla does not. She has worked her rear off to make it here and has gone through rigorous training for certain roles. And I was on team Carla. Yes, women and men are created differently, and there are several things that women can't do that men can. Men, on the other hand, cannot accomplish all that women do. However, Aiden doesn't agree on that.

And when I told him he should give birth then, he stated that it was God's will and that if he had a uterus, he would. I didn't dispute with him any longer, as I realized it was futile. And simply because I have my personal views doesn't mean I should expect him to share them.

Carla, however, was different from me. Aiden would undoubtedly face some strong competition.

"I'm hoping there won't be any casualties."

I commented, as a matter of fact, and Kim started laughing. I was grateful to have something other than a certain owner of brown eyes on my head, and I spent the next hour talking about irrelevant topics with Kim. I occasionally wondered if Eugene had emerged from his hiding spot or had remained there, but I lacked the courage to go and verify. And if he were still inside the cupboard, well, I guess it serves him right.

...............

When Nathaniel finally decided to wrap things up, it was past noon, and I was ready to die, just like everybody else. The majority of us had not really slept in twenty hours, and it reflected on our faces.